Give me your fiftieth of a dollar kind sirs and ma'ams

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

googacky
pushin' record

Give me your fiftieth of a dollar kind sirs and ma'ams

Post by googacky » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:40 am

I wanted to get a few other sets of ears in on a mix I'm working on.

This track feels like it needs some work. The kick is a little weird and I'm wondering about the low end in general. I feel like this one is pretty much there, but I'd like to get some feedback.

Thanks for looking.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:25 pm

No low end is the curse of my computer speakers at work, but I don't really hear anything wonky with the first song. Just listen to it from as many sources as possible before you do anything drastic, low end varies so wildly between headphone, monitors and various stereo speakers. I'd say you have it pretty nailed down though, the song and the mix sound good.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:59 pm

first song:

The drums in general and the kick in specific sound a bit smaller than the other track. Maybe take a tiny bit of bottom out of the kick so you can bring it forward a little more without it getting boomy? Overall balance is great.

second song:

Nice. The drums sound perfect on this one and the overall blend is great. I feel like the low end on this song, both kick and bass guitar, are dialed in really nicely and that maybe you could kind of match the first song to this one, low end wise, since they are stylistically fairly similar.

either way, they sound great already.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:42 pm

I came back and listened to it with some good headphones and speakers. I hear what you're talking about with the kick on the first song, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. You could play with the mids a bit and reign that in if it bothers you. Other than that the mix sounds good. Second song still sounds aces to me.

You really only hear that kick by itself for 2 or 3 seconds before the bass kicks in and it doesn't sound bad, it just sounds different. I wouldn't go trying to reinvent the wheel there, maybe just a little EQ tweak right at the start. You could kick the level up a bit on the rest of the song, but I don't think it's necessary personally.

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks for the input. We recorded four songs (the first tracks towards a full length) and I wanted some variety in the mixes, but I may have gone for a few things for the sake of making them different. We'll be tweaking this week, so I'll put an ear on that kick again.