And today's leaked solo vocal track is from... SMASHMOUTH

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:46 am

It really just makes me feel middle-aged. As in, I don't think I can relate to this guy (who is probably also middle-aged by now)

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:09 am

Tatertot wrote:What's this Linda business? Is there a Linda Ronstadt solo'd vocal track making the rounds or something?
That would be awesome, but I would have been sad if it sucked.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:34 am

Tatertot wrote:
Colin F. wrote:I'm really not a Smashmouth fan at all, but at least you can hear that this guy is really going for it and giving it everything that he's got. People generally respond well to that type of energy in a performance and that could explain why they've sold as many records as they have.
Yes, that is fair enough.
plus as rufer mentions, the dumb ass'd lyrics. this isn't scandalously bad though. just duuumb.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 am

When can we here some Creed solo'd vocal tracks???
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:03 am

ok, I'm ashamed to admit it but I was watching American Idol last night with my girlfriend and they aired Paula Abdul and that Randy guys music video and it fucking sucked. I couldn't believe how much pitch correction was on her voice! And this was on a singing competition show! Where's the talent in that?

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 am

ipressrecord wrote:When can we here some Creed solo'd vocal tracks???
This is bad enough, do you need more punishment? seriously, this guy SUCKS.

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 am

You know, I expected it to be much worse. It seems consistant with the grunting, chanting singing style I've heard in their earlier hits. This seems to fit their shtick

Their sound has never seemed to be about nice melodic vocals.

PC
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 am

suppositron wrote:ok, I'm ashamed to admit it but I was watching American Idol last night with my girlfriend and they aired Paula Abdul and that Randy guys music video and it fucking sucked. I couldn't believe how much pitch correction was on her voice! And this was on a singing competition show! Where's the talent in that?
I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been following Idol this year. I haven't watched last night's yet though. I look forward to seeing what Paula can do with her 90 pound frame and her weird leathery skin. I missed the Super Bowl "comeback" already. Anyway, regarding Idol, my wife is dazzled by my ability to predict what the judges will say about a given performance. I tell her it's all the time I spend here at TOMB that keeps me honed.

The guys are pretty good, and quite a diverse lot in terms of styles. The girls bore me this year. The whole thing is, of course, just another brick in the wall of the decline of our once-great civilization, but it's fairly fun to tune in and see what the finalists are up to this year ...