Men At Work

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Colin Hay has some cool solo stuff. He did a little spot on "scrubs" (funny show). Great lazy eye, and John C. Mcginley smashes his guitar into a wall...

The version of Overkill (at least that is what I think it was called) that he did on that show was awesome. I think you can buy it on itunes. Well worth the .99 cents
This book, besides being pretty good, is written by their engineer? Producer? Whatever he was, he has a lot of info about his methods recording their albums blended into the text of the book.
That was the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. I bought that book when I made my first attempt at learning how to record.

hautacam
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hautacam » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:26 pm

"Who can it be now" is one of the better produced pop songs that I can think of. Not the greatest band but there is something interesting going on with their tracks.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:09 am

Trick Fall wrote:
Colin Hay has some cool solo stuff. He did a little spot on "scrubs" (funny show). Great lazy eye, and John C. Mcginley smashes his guitar into a wall...

The version of Overkill (at least that is what I think it was called) that he did on that show was awesome. I think you can buy it on itunes. Well worth the .99 cents
This book, besides being pretty good, is written by their engineer? Producer? Whatever he was, he has a lot of info about his methods recording their albums blended into the text of the book.
That was the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. I bought that book when I made my first attempt at learning how to record.
A. I did buy it on itunes...

B. I had that book. It is how I learned the differences between mics and such. There is also a paperback version of it stolen by the "skate fuckers" in the film "High Fidelity".
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 pm

I really enjoy a lot of Men At Works material. I think they get overlooked quite a bit for being legitimately gret musicians and interesting songwriters.

Underground and Helpless Automaton are a fantastic two-fer. The latters chorus is easily as striking as the finest Clash songs.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 am

I love Overkill. Beautiful tune. I recall some "alt" band in the mid 90's did a cover of it and Colin Hay did a guest vocal on it and appeared in the video. I thought that was pretty classy at the time...

I haven't listened to cargo in a while-- I should get my vinyl out of storage.

BTW, I get a little burst of glee when I hear Be Good Johnny on the Supernanny program.

The more I listen to the 80's channel on XM, the more I realize how much great material was forgotten/set aside along with the trash. Men at Work definitely earned their "Best New Artist/Kiss of Death award."

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:41 am

oh wow i made a jerk of myself here didn't i

/bows out