First track for a new album project...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

First track for a new album project...

Post by chconnor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Hiya -

http://caseyconnor.org/ballistics.mp3

I'll spare you the disclaimers and descriptions of the process and so on until and unless there is some feedback, so as not to predispose you. I mean, I have my own (harsh) critique but that's not why I'm here, right? :-)

Interested to know what y'all think, on any level, but especially the technical side of things. It's the first completed song for the next album.

This is, as you'll hear, a mixture of synth stuff, acoustic instruments, layered parts, etc., and it's theoretically "done", as in, ready to burn the master CD, so comments on mic technique, mixing, mastering, composition, whatever.

I'm trying this radical idea of getting some feedback before finishing the project.

Enjoy, and thanks!
-Casey

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Post by chconnor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 am

Aw shoot, no comments, eh?

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:26 am

Sounds pretty good. Sounds a lil like Sweetback/Sade.

A little too book store mellowish for me to hang with but sounds good.

What did you use for your Rhodes-ish sound?
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

tune

Post by lukievan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Nice work - it sounds good.
for my taste, i would fuck up some of the sounds more w/ eq/compression/re-amping.
It's just a bit too clean and present in the hi-mid area for me. But it's good for commercial radio-ready sound. I would also get more drastic with panning - stuff is a bit cluttered towards the center. Do a radical, fucked-up mix and see if it inspires you.
There are some interesting things happening in there and I think you would benefit from bringing out what makes the song different, 'cos it has a bit of that 'I've heard this kind of tune a bunch of times before" sound. But again, it's very well done.

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Post by chconnor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Right on, thanks for the feedback.

"cluttered" - thanks, i'll look at that. I usually hard-pan and so i was trying to back off a bit. :-)

"too clean" - yeah, this is the bane of all my mixes, primarily because i do it all myself and half of the stuff is synths (by necessity only)... especially in the world of drums/percussion. I constantly struggle against the too-clean vibe. Also because I had no great mic, I couldn't really pull of recordings with much "room" sound, so everything is polished and shiny. My new mic should help with that... Anyway, excuses excuses.

The rhodes sound is a great plugin (VSTi) called MrRay:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1177.html
http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=read&b=16

I try to resist the temptation to use it on every song, but i usually fail. :-)

Thanks for the ears,
-c

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:37 pm

I think this sounds great. The only thing I could recommend is arrangement based. I don't know what it is exactly because I'm not a musician or arranger, but it sounds like some stuff in the background is stepping on each other. I checked to make sure I didn't have a myspace page playing in the background at one point.

I think this has a lot of potential.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

That was awesome

Post by BenjaminWells » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 pm

This is my first post on this board. I've been lurking around a while, learning from everyone here and enjoying the wisdom and humor I've encountered.

To my ears, this sounded awesome. I'm a musician / singer, not an engineer or producer (even though I aspire to be), so I have no idea if it's "cluttered in the mids" or "too clean." But, as a music lover / musician I was really happy listening to it. It was creative and inspired.

I'm like you-- a total DIY guy and I believe you're on to something. The pots and pans created interest, each sound was incredibly clear and enjoyed it's own space. Great song! "sugar bullets" is an amazing concept. Keep up the amazing work and don't stop, never, ever stop!

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

third listen...

Post by BenjaminWells » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Please, speak more about your rig & the process you used! I'm on my third listen... still loving it.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 pm

some hopefully constructive criticisms/opinions:

i would do more extreme positioning (imagine you only have L/C/R switches instead of pan pots, nowt wrong with hard panning) and use less (or at least different) reverb...heck, maybe use a bit of slap echo on the lead vocal instead of reverb.

as for "too clean", there are ways to remedy this if you feel it's appropriate.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Post by chconnor » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:16 am

Again, much obliged.

The two things I most concern myself with are: too compressed or weirdly compressed? And: bass mixed OK (besides the fact that it's a synth)?
rwc wrote:I checked to make sure I didn't have a myspace page playing in the background at one point.
Hah! Point well taken. That's the "other bane" of my mixes. I'm still learning restraint, for sure, but I have to concede I'm kind of a junkie for layers.
RefD wrote:i would do more extreme positioning (imagine you only have L/C/R switches instead of pan pots, nowt wrong with hard panning) and use less (or at least different) reverb...heck, maybe use a bit of slap echo on the lead vocal instead of reverb.
How interesting that folks note the panning. Most of my tunes are crazy panned and I thought I was overdoing it. Guess not. :-) Part of it was that there weren't instruments of similar timbre to pan, so harder panning was making it a bit unbalanced sounding, but I'm sure there's something I can swing out.

With the verb, I was trying to buck my personal trend of dry-as-possible-without-sounding-weird, and just going for it with the washed-out verb. It does kind of muck things up though. There is a quieter bouncing slap-style echo going on, but yeah, tons of wash. I do like slaps.

I should mention that I'm probably going to honor my personal commitment to not remix this song just so I can get the others done before I die. I'm mainly soliciting this feedback for the rest of the songs on the project.
RefD wrote:as for "too clean", there are ways to remedy this if you feel it's appropriate.
You know, I'd love some tips along these lines. I think I'm gaining an appreciation for why ITB recording/synthing/mixing has a bad rap... Every time I try to add a touch of distortion here or roughness there, to give it some life, it sounds ridiculous. Like a "super clean version of rough", if that makes sense. So, tips welcome, or if you can recommend some free plugins for roughing stuff up... I think it's the basic lack of an acoustic space that the sounds are coming from. Throwing some ambient short-delay verb on it just makes things muddier... well, not always, but. I know, the way to make a recording sound real is to record real things. :-)

BikeSailboatGuitar: thanks so much. It's really important for me to hear that.

The process... let's see, it was a while ago that I worked on that one, but generally: I record everything with an AKG C535 mic (hand held condenser style thing) into a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro, into a Presonus Firebox. So, home studio down the line. First, vocals and guitar (often at the same time, vocal mic, guitar DI, but I think I did them separately on this song). Usually I then make a tempo map of the song (of my jerky-tempo playing) for the sequencing, but sometimes I play to a skeleton MIDI arrangement with a few tempo-changes built in. After that, adding bass synth (if it wasn't there), drum sequence, keyboard parts, etc. Tweaking and editing. Vocal overdubs. Whistle overdubs (choruses). Obsessive editing. I mix on headphones and master on my roommates stereo speakers, so that's a liability, but you know. I use lots of free VSTs and VSTi's. The eq/compression/reverb is mostly Waves plugins.

I've also spent a lot of time making percussion sample kits from stuff around the house; tons of samples from a bathtub, hitting stuff in the kitchen with chopsticks, mouth sounds, etc. The kitchen stuff features prominently here.

Happy to be more specific if you like, but maybe that's too much already. :-)

Thanks folks, this is useful.
-c

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:53 am

chconnor wrote:
RefD wrote:as for "too clean", there are ways to remedy this if you feel it's appropriate.
You know, I'd love some tips along these lines. I think I'm gaining an appreciation for why ITB recording/synthing/mixing has a bad rap... Every time I try to add a touch of distortion here or roughness there, to give it some life, it sounds ridiculous. Like a "super clean version of rough", if that makes sense. So, tips welcome, or if you can recommend some free plugins for roughing stuff up... I think it's the basic lack of an acoustic space that the sounds are coming from. Throwing some ambient short-delay verb on it just makes things muddier... well, not always, but. I know, the way to make a recording sound real is to record real things. :-)
best thing i can think of for roughing up a previously recorded track of a VSTi instrument is to reamp it thru a guitar amp (it doesn't have to be terribly loud, just loud enough to be heard and for the amp to reach the sweet spot which is why i recommend a low-wattage amp for this) and mic it with a dynamic mic or something else equally handy.

i would do this on an instrument by instrument basis as-needed and vary settings and elements in the signal chain.

you're gonna get some bandpassing from the speaker and mic and some (hopefully) good furriness from the amplifier.

i have the first version of the 1202 from the early 90s and it does do the clean thing fairly well, but that's about it...i also have an Aphex 107 dual mic pre that adds some pleasing hair to things that i want to be not-so-nice and they can still be had for an almost pittance.

a bit of variety in microphones (various dynamics. condensers, carbon, omni or cardioid, lofi or superfi or in between, etc.) is also good and doesn't have to break the bank cos there's plenty of good used stuff out there.

i guess i'm saying, if you want things to be less clean then try to do it on the way to the converters for instruments that aren't living in VSTi land.

also, if you're recording an acoustic instrument, mic it...resist the urge to use a built-in pickup.

i can certainly identify with the "strange mix of embarrassing influences" thing. :D
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 am

I like the wide panning.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

"too clean"

Post by BenjaminWells » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:02 am

I'm learning a lot from this discussion because I've been trying to achieve a cleaner sound-- I bought a pickup for one of my guitars to make it cleaner, bought a new interface to make it cleaner, bought a good mic to make it cleaner-- all to achieve a sound closer to your song. But, the reason I'm here is because I've realized that my mixes don't sound clean to me because of muddy frequency distribution-- sounds not sitting in the mix, not noise. So, what I'm learning is that a sound can have sparkle, fuzz and more interest AND sit in the mix. SHAZAM!

So, the thought of reamping a VSTi instrument was kind of funny to me at first, but now I get it. I'm just glad I came to this board before I started recording my own album.

Anyway, I'm totally into the found sounds in your percussion kit. I like the reversed breaths, pot & pans, bathtub etc. Honestly, trust your instincts they're good.