Powerpop recorded on a 002r

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

veedub242
pluggin' in mics

Powerpop recorded on a 002r

Post by veedub242 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:38 am

i've been recording this record over the last several months for this powerpop outfit from Milwaukee called The Danger

the song is called "yer a blur"

http://www.zshare.net/audio/9644583980ea0d/]02%20yerablur.mp3%20-%204.38MB

www.myspace.com/thedanger

I think other than the back ups being too loud in spots its a petty good mix and recording. Let me know what you all think before i get this mastered. thanks, Ian

Here is the setup...
vocals.
5 main vocal tracks small room Rode nt1a

drums,
d112 in a 26" gretch catalina kick
at3035 across the top of tom 1
apex 420 across the top of floor tom
oktava 012 on side of snare and another on on top
apex 210 ribbon above kick aimed at snare with crash and ride in rejection
a spaced pair of sm81's about 20 feet on left and right of kit
drms were tracked in a big ass dirty cement room out side of my bands practice space

guitars
sg through a new AC30= sm57
rickenbacker 330 through a silvertone-AT2020
tele through a peavey classic 50 4-10-sm57
nashville tuned tele through the AC30-oktava mk012

bass
jack casady epiphone hollobody
ampeg head anmpeg 8-10 cab. oktava 319 about 3 feet away

computer
mac dual 867
002 rack with M-audio octane
protools 6.2.2

preamps.
aphex 207.

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:25 am

I just love this song. hooray for the ric.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:54 am

excellent... the song is awesome too...

i love the guitars and the vox... the background vox are a little hot... but that's an easy fix...

the only that stands out for me is the snare. maybe it's the reverb or the envelope... but it's not sitting well with me... maybe it needs more high end. it's just a little lifeless for my snare tastes...

but overall this recording is awesome! it's great hearing dynamics in songs!

veedub242
pluggin' in mics

thanks

Post by veedub242 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 pm

thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and work on the snare and see If i can get a little more something out of it. Yes, The ric is a beautiful instrument. Its actually a 12 string 330.

here is a piece of music I am working on for the end of this record. I was trying to make it sound like an outtake from Pet Sounds or Smile

http://www.zshare.net/audio/985928931c6d67/

let me know what you all think and ill tell yah how I got those sounds

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

outtake

Post by BenjaminWells » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:38 am

Awesome work here. The outtake is cool. It supports and reinforces the sound themes working in the song. It would do a lot towards creating a cohesive sound for the record and ultimately the band. I am curious about those sounds and how they were created. Do share.

veedub242
pluggin' in mics

out take

Post by veedub242 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am

well, it all started when I got this crappy piano. I dont play piano but for some reason there was this piano sitting outside of my studio space. My space is an old fallout shelter in a shitty part of town. this piano was sitting on the sidewalk vertically for 2 days in the middle of winter. SO, I got a buddy and almost killed myself and him trying to get it down 3 flights of stairs. Anyway, I get this monster inside and begin to figure out how to tune it. it does no go so well so I left it out of tune and put tacks on all the hammers. The progression you hear in the song is the only progression i know how to play. The sound of the piano was an accident. I basically opened the door to my ghetto vocal booth and cranked up the gain on the mic in to the booth. I basically wanted to record the piano idea so i wouldn't forget it. When i went into the control room I was shocked at how cool it sounded. I then set up a drum kit in the same space as the piano and recorded a drum take the same way. then recorded another drum take and panned each drum take. the bells are a cheap set of bells that were miked from the bottom in the control room and sent to a Bogen firehouse PA head and then through a leslie in the same space as the piano. the "crack" is two flat pieces of wood with a hinge on the bottom. vocals were recorded in the same space as well. every track was recorded through a Rode NT1a which was inside a vocal booth with the door open. it was a happy mistake that i think rules.