anyone have well engineered/produced album recommendations?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Bob Womack
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Womack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Two recent examples:

David Gilmour - On an Island - Here's a lush study of the British sound, recorded and mixed on large-format consoles with top-flight gear. Strings and orchestra recorded at Abbey Road. Great atmospherics and attention to detail.

The Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden - Some of the most crystal clear recording and mixing of this era, that uses up the full bandwidth of your gear. How do you manage to create an absolutely full, clear, crisp bass without conflicting with the lower midrange? Study these mixes. Yeah, yeah, some people complain that the mixes are too clean. Jealous? Whatever, this is the epitome of this style.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Bob Womack wrote:David Gilmour - On an Island - Here's a lush study of the British sound, recorded and mixed on large-format consoles with top-flight gear. Strings and orchestra recorded at Abbey Road. Great atmospherics and attention to detail.
Gilmour was a huge formative influence on my early guitar playing and i love most of his work both solo and in Pink Floyd.

but the vocals and guitars (especially the guitars) in "On An Island" are too damned loud relative to the rest of the instruments and i can barely stand listening to the album as a result.

so i guess my main gripe is with the mixing job!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Bob Womack
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Womack » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 am

Tweach his own (but don't tweach mine). :D

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Iggy Pop- The Idiot

Lou Reed- Transformer

Brian Eno- Before and After Science

David Bowie- Station to Station

Yes- Fragile

Hall and Oats- Private Eyes

Slowdive- Souvlaki

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon May 12, 2008 3:57 pm

I think Matthew Sweet's 100% Fun is the perfect example of 'huge' (guitars, drums) done right. If you're like "goddamn, why did Springsteen get this guy to do his new record" you should listen to this.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Wed May 14, 2008 9:32 am

Ray LaMontagne's, 'Trouble' - Ethan Johns produced/engineered/played drums, electric guitar, various other instruements, and arranged string parts

One of my favorite right now ...
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.