Mix

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Mix

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:02 am

Check this mix out. It's my band practicing and i decided to put some mic's up and record it. then we over dubbed an extra guitar line. i got done with the mix i was diggin it for the most part. just lookin for some feedback about it. good or bad. preferably bad because it seems to help me more. thanks for listening.

www.myspace.com/thetoweraudio

the gear i used was a Presonus Firestudio with:
guitar - 58
bass - 58
snare - 57
tom - 57
floor tom - 421
kick - D4
OH - awful AT SDC's
Last edited by HeavyHand on Wed May 21, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:00 pm

I feel that the sound of the drums takes up too much room during the quiet parts. Or, conversely, the sound of the bass and guitar didn't jibe at all with the openness of the drum sound. The simplest thing that you could on this point would be to narrow the stereo spread of the drums, pull them back a bit, and add some sort of spatialization (reverb or delay) to the guitar. All I could think was "He spent a lot more time on the drum sound than anything else" which is understandable from the perspective of a starting-out engineer, because the usual ways of recording drums requires a bit more effort at the outset and during mixing, and you can theoretically "do more" with them. Resist this imbalance of effort! Strive for aesthetic unity for now!

It sounded fine during the loud parts, when the. But if you're to do a simple, basic mix, you might aim to get the various instruments sounding as though they're in some way sharing one consistent sonic space, or multiple complimentary spaces. I just felt that the guitar and bass weren't "filling up" the wide open reverberant space into which you had put the drums, and the difference was distracting. Sometimes such contrasts work, sometimes they don't so well.

Some of the toms and cymbal crashes were a bit pokey, maybe a smidge of compression or pull them back in the mix?

You could make a bigger deal out of the little solo lick in the right ear, make it special since it only happens once. Same with the lead guitar in the left ear during the second section. Again, all I'm compelled to pay attention to are the drums. Make it brighter, louder, do something with it.
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:08 pm

thanks a lot man. the other issue with the drum tracks is that I'm the drummer. i definitely spent way more time with them the everything else. typical. thanks a lot for the feedback.