Free CD

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 pm

vvv wrote:The cool thing about it is getting ones in return. :^:

(Lemme reco Electro-Voice 664's Stuporhero as very, very cool!)

Also, getting feedback on your own, which is always helpful, and kind of the point.

Shite, it is the point.
:D Your right sorry I haven't gotten back to ya.
First, I have been listening to BeDio and I like it. I was waiting to reply until I could think of something smart to ask about it, but......
Fun songs about recording, love, religion, and more, I'd like to find out some technical info like what kind of drum (machine plug?) were used, guitar amps bass etc. Anyway if other people have CDs to trade they should do it!

I'm glad you dig Stuporhero.

I'll try to form some actual thoughts and post again...
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Aiight, I'll play!

No drum machines, not one, nada ...

I hate the fookin' things! I always wanted to be a drummer, but I can't even shake and wipe at the same time ... :twisted:

I either have friends drum for me (often stealing their tracks from other songs and looping same; see the CD title song) or build my drums from couple-second loops which I cut and paste, copy, and add hits to, kind of like ACID, if you were tripping and don't have the program.

The Vox is on the cover because it was handy when I did the photo; plus, it's relatively light and I knew it wouldn't hole my water-bed ... 8)

Guitars and amps are pretty varied; there are at least 4 different bass ("bassi"?) and maybe 8-10 different guitars, maybe 7 amps ...

For specifics, you could go here and the individual songs have the instruments listed under "full song info".

By the way, it's done to an HP P4 3.0 x 2 with SATA, an M-Audio Delta 44, and CEP2.1. The raw tracks are 13.3 gigs! :shock:

The main voc pre is a Meek VC3q with the compressor engaged and most vox are through an AT4040. Guitars are typically through a VTB1 pre and a variety of mics, including an NOS R2 ribbon, an SM58, a C1000S, an MXL1006 and a Samson C02 in omni. The bass is typically DI'd through the VTB1 or an ART TPS2 and usually a dbx163X; there was some use of a mic'd Boogie. Some emulated guitar was through a Hafler T2 and ADA Microcab (on a bass track or two, also), or a Zoom GM-200. But very little (5%?) was emulated; mostly, a Pro, Jr., a Boogie Mark2B, a Marshall 2550 or a Musicman HD130 were mic'd up. Or the Vox. :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 21, 2008 11:35 am

All requested CD's have been mailed. :twisted:

mjau, did you send an addy?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Aiight, last bump, I promise (for now :twisted: ); did everyone get one what wanted one?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:53 am

Hmmm, this bumping thing was good idear.

All pending requests to date mailed out today!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Aiight, last bump, I'm thinking.

If you want one, PM me.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 pm

I'd love one!

I'll gladly send you our latest platter.

I'll PM you with my address!

Thanks!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 pm

Aiighty, will go out next week; thanx!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Aiight, just got wenley's CD, The Nu-Sonics; The "Eureka" E.P. and I gotta say, YEAH!

Very cool stuff that makes me think I have to step up my writing; reminiscent (to me) of Kevin Salem, mebbe Westerberg a little, with a groovy, tight backing band and some neat guest-star parts, the songs "Elevation" and "Say Hello ..." really stand out for me as having commercial radio potential, but I like 'em all!

For the recordists, this stuff has a nice, clear, uncluttered mix and vibe, sounding very immediate and un-gimmickey, letting the great songs and playing speak directly to you.

And kudos on the "E.P." length; I wish I had the guts to self-edit and present only my 7 best!

Thanks!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.