DBT: America's best Southern rock bar band?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

DBT: America's best Southern rock bar band?

Post by vvv » Mon May 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Aiight, Black Crows are pretty damn good, too, and I'm not discounting the Allmans, etc., although they have gone well beyond "bar band" ...

But DBT are such great writers, if a little rough in the performance, like a bar band should be.

Brighter than Creation ..., while a touch over-long (they list 4 "sides"!), is really growing on me. And I might only cut two or three songs, anyway.

It's funny, every time I get a new DBT record, I think, this isn't as good as the last ...

And then I hear it a few times, and think it may be better.

And even though they lost Isbell, his ex stands up as just a cool singer-writer in her own right ("Houston" is a subtle standout.) I mean, I'd buy a solo album if she had one!

And for all the well-deserved praise P. Hood gets for his humanist literacy ("That Man I Shot", "The Righteous Path"), Cooley fookin' rawx nasty (ex., "3 Dimes Down".)

In the Bettye LaVette thread some took issue with the DBT record sounding too Stonesy, and Spooner Oldham is on here, also, and I love that vibe.

Check out the kinda psycha-techno "You and Your Crystal Meth".

Finally, while I mention this CD in another thread as having some vocal clicks, and pops, it is recorded (per the liner notes) to "glorious 2" analog tape" by David Barbe, who totally rocked in Sugar, and has become a fave producer of mine just for his DBT records; I think he's done the last 5 or so, and this one really does sound good.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 17, 2008 2:37 pm

So am I the only one who has an opinion here?

Whassamatta, yooze?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sun May 18, 2008 6:22 am

They're my fave these days. I have Dirty South and the two that preceded it on constantly. I don't have the new one yet. I love the song on Dirty South about tornadoes hitting the town, just a gorgeous tune.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Re: DBT: America's best Southern rock bar band?

Post by jckinnick » Sun May 18, 2008 2:40 pm

vvv wrote:Aiight, Black Crows are pretty damn good, too, and I'm not discounting the Allmans, etc., although they have gone well beyond "bar band" ...

But DBT are such great writers, if a little rough in the performance, like a bar band should be.

Brighter than Creation ..., while a touch over-long (they list 4 "sides"!), is really growing on me. And I might only cut two or three songs, anyway.

It's funny, every time I get a new DBT record, I think, this isn't as good as the last ...

And then I hear it a few times, and think it may be better.

And even though they lost Isbell, his ex stands up as just a cool singer-writer in her own right ("Houston" is a subtle standout.) I mean, I'd buy a solo album if she had one!

And for all the well-deserved praise P. Hood gets for his humanist literacy ("That Man I Shot", "The Righteous Path"), Cooley fookin' rawx nasty (ex., "3 Dimes Down".)

In the Bettye LaVette thread some took issue with the DBT record sounding too Stonesy, and Spooner Oldham is on here, also, and I love that vibe.

Check out the kinda psycha-techno "You and Your Crystal Meth".

Finally, while I mention this CD in another thread as having some vocal clicks, and pops, it is recorded (per the liner notes) to "glorious 2" analog tape" by David Barbe, who totally rocked in Sugar, and has become a fave producer of mine just for his DBT records; I think he's done the last 5 or so, and this one really does sound good.
I think in the Betty Lavette thread they said it sounded like a bad version of the Stones.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 pm

I can't for the life of me understand why there is so much hype about this band. I even would like to like them! So far it sounds like the Strokes of Southern Rock.
Perhaps i need to see them live....

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:39 pm

Oh, and they are way better than the Crowes, who are a complete waste of skin. Isn't Rod Stewart rolling over in his grave?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Another good band in this vein is My Mourning Jacket.

Yes, the Crows sometimes sound like Stewart, and on the LaVette record I can see the comparison to later Stones ( "bad" was only implied ;) ).

That Strokes comment was uncalled for, and hilarious! :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 pm

vvv wrote:
That Strokes comment was uncalled for, and hilarious! :lol:
Yeah, I played it for laughs. I actually like "Is This It?" It's a great record no matter how much people grouse...

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Tue May 20, 2008 1:38 pm

My Morning Jacket, or Kings of Leon. 8)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Damn! How could I forget K.O.L.?

There are some awesome videos on youtube of those guys.

The DBT DVD, by the way, is terrific.

Them ain't yer daddy's Lynyrd Skynyrd, boy ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue May 20, 2008 2:42 pm

It's partly nostalgia (been seeing them intermittently for almost 20 years) but I gotta give some props to the Radiators. It's less rawk and more allmans/longhair stuff, and a bit cheezy at times, but those shows are a pretty good party and it's been interesting to watch them age somewhat gracefully. By the time I showed up to the party they were already 15 years or so into it ... gotta respect that ...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 23, 2008 10:11 am

I saw the Radiators a couple years ago in one of those psuedo-"roadhouse" bars; they were good but would have been better without the aging frat boy audience.

The couple of albums I've heard were listenable.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri May 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Played with the DBTs many times over the years. They are all great guys. Patterson's dad used to work at Muscle Shoals and he grew up around some great music.

I don't think it's fair to call them a bar band. They have that quality, but they've taken it beyond being that simple. I think the songs are terrific, evocative, and more than just hard rockin', hard drinkin' fare. Kinda like Springsteen has his roots firmly in the same tradition, but no one calls the E Street Band a bar band. Not that the DBTs have reach Bruuuce status, but the comparison is apt.

I always admired how they went about their business. They went on the road early on, stayed on the road, built a following and kept going and going. I remember talking to Patterson at a gig and he was talking about what they would do after the current tour. He was just like, "We'll go make another record and then tour. That's what we do." He was real calm about it. They were starting to blow up then and you would never know it by the demeanor of the band. That's how it's supposed to be done.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks for that!

Yeah, Dave Hood is definitely a piece of (ongoing and current) history.

I just read that he's touring with ...? Maybe Frank Black?

And "bar band" is meant to be complimentary, in the sense that the music is perfect for a bar, which means it's relatively straightforward, and evocative of the things one does/talks about/thinks about/drinks about in a bar ...

Cool also that Patterson has a new CD coming out.

Listening here, as i type.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.