What's the deal with Metallica's ...And Justice for All??

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Re: remix!

Post by Zoltar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:00 pm

yes, no doubt geek check. Who remembers the 80's?

Very impressive
lyman wrote:
Zoltar wrote: I forgot how great the tight mic'd palm muted thirds of the scooped Mark IV's sounded. between this album and Anthrax State of Euphoria, I still love that sound.
sure, the mark iv is great but that's not what it is. james used a mark ii c+ on that album as on other early metallica albums. the mark iv wasn't even released until 1989, and "justice" was recorded in early 1988.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:27 pm

I like it too and don't care if nobody else does. Hell, some people love the way Tool records sound and I think they are a worst case scenario of sound.
I hate the Justice kick but it was just fashion at the time. To each his own.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Re: What's the deal with Metallica's ...And Justice for All?

Post by Rolsen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:36 am

ghosty wrote:
Snarky wrote: I mowed many lawns to this album.
This image made me laugh. I'm picturing a scrawny 14-year-old in a grass-stained tank top, pushing a mower and making the Lars Ulrich scowl-face.
I think of my youth as well. Me and 4 buddies were rockin AJFA in my '73 Mercury Comet - I just upgraded the speakers. We were super baked. When we arrived at our destination, 'One' had just started. We didn't leave until that song was over, and folks around us must've seen this smoke-hazed Comet with 5 high-schoolers nodding in unison for a few minutes.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 am

lolz. please tell me you were all rocking mullets.

*used to rock the mullet*

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:52 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:lolz. please tell me you were all rocking mullets.

*used to rock the mullet*[/quote

Mullets, no. Flannels, yes (this was 1993).

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:27 pm

close enough.

i have nothing to do, i'm gonna put this silly record on right now actually.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:29 pm

whatever happened to kirk hammett? he was so good on kill 'em all, and then he just got worse and worse.

you really can't hear any bass at all at any point. maybe a little on the intro to the title track. i think lars and james were just being dicks. there's totally room in the mix for any of yr standard clangy metal bass tones.

there's actually some reverb on frayed ends of sanity, if they'd have mixed the whole thing like that it would've sounded a lot better imo.

the lack of both bass guitar and reverb makes it a really monochromatic sounding record...

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:16 pm

I used to see him around Berkeley. Those guys became super-rich, lost their edge, and settled snuggly into middle class banality.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:whatever happened to kirk hammett? he was so good on kill 'em all, and then he just got worse and worse.

you really can't hear any bass at all at any point. maybe a little on the intro to the title track. i think lars and james were just being dicks. there's totally room in the mix for any of yr standard clangy metal bass tones.

there's actually some reverb on frayed ends of sanity, if they'd have mixed the whole thing like that it would've sounded a lot better imo.

the lack of both bass guitar and reverb makes it a really monochromatic sounding record...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:18 pm

if only they hadn't lost cliff...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:46 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:if only they hadn't lost cliff...
*voice of perky, hair-flipping avatar*: "Their livers would have all detonated simultaneously on stage! What a farewell show!!"

*gratuitous squeak and wink*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

caffiend2049
alignin' 24-trk

Post by caffiend2049 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:54 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:whatever happened to kirk hammett? he was so good on kill 'em all, and then he just got worse and worse.
I'm inclined to agree with that. Although I really do like all his work through MOP.
He's a fantastic player...but has always been a bit on the formulaic side.
I think his style of flying out of left field was very appropriate for Kill 'em All and worked well on Lightning as well.
Lather/ Rinse/ Repeat and you have Master -

But honestly, I always thought his solos on AJFA were nearly inappropriate.
The playing is great - but it seems that the more he tried to tie his solos to the song, the more lost they sounded.
bigger and better....sooner than later

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:39 am

yeah i like his playing up through master as well, i just think he sounded the best on kill 'em all, he really had a sense of "i'm 19 and can go fucking bullshit on the guitar, check it out!" and it was really fun to listen to. the solos on AJFA are almost painful to listen to. i mean some reverb would help, but even still, the ideas are just kinda not really there.

i think the cause of his decline (besides all the booze and coke) was just james and lars beating his poor psyche down over all those years.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 am

My favorite part of "Monster" is when Bob Rock says, during the course of some argument between Kirk and everyone else about whether they should keep a guitar solo (as well as whether they should they scrap the entire metalist dogma of having a guitar feature in every single freakin song), "I don't want there to be a rule to not solo, but I don't want there to a be a rule to solo, either."
How zen is that? Why not ask, "What is the sound of one hand soloing?"
Prog out with your cog out.

drfringe
audio school graduate

Post by drfringe » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:12 am

I agree, those guys are all kind of funny, difficult or stubborn. They are so fickle on some of their stuff it's hard to imagine them finishing an album or playing together.

Nice Zen statement there.

Check this out if you get a chance, (zen guitar dojo)

http://www.maui.net/~zen_gtr/about.html