Katy Perry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:09 am

If we're talking decadent pop, for my money, I'd choose this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7Yzq_ssfA

sawtooth66
audio school graduate

Post by sawtooth66 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:15 am

"I'll buy that for a dollar!"!!!

I'm Not The Platypus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by I'm Not The Platypus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 pm

i care about her feelings

www.the23rdcentury.com

Science fiction has never sounded more like your mom

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm Not The Platypus wrote:i care about her feelings

So does that guy from Gym Class Heroes. The one she's dating.
Prog out with your cog out.

I'm Not The Platypus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by I'm Not The Platypus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:27 pm

yeah, well...whatever...publicity stunt!

anyway, beauty doesn't last...but knowledge of comic books and science fiction is forever, ladies!

(that sound you hear is the sound of them lining up)
www.the23rdcentury.com

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:48 pm

I'm Not The Platypus wrote:yeah, well...whatever...publicity stunt!

anyway, beauty doesn't last...but knowledge of comic books and science fiction is forever, ladies!

(that sound you hear is the sound of them lining up)
Dammit! I just changed my sig, like, last week.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:48 pm

crap, i've been replaced already. :cry:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:43 pm

Sorry, man. But you have to admit that its a sweet sig.

Mklein
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mklein » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:00 pm

jessemesasavage wrote:This is nothing but vapid junkfood for the mind and ears. You'll rot your eardrums out with crap like this. This shit is not music. It is the kind of thought-numbing, technology-perverting excess that is deteriorating our art of recording human performance more and more every day. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for extolling any virtues in such an obvious affront to genuine creativity.
Can you see us all down here from your high horse, raining down judgement? Shit like this is unwarranted and, quite frankly, ridiculous. Deteriorating our art? Really?

Try this perspective:

It's obvious we all care about music a whole lot. It's our passion. It's our livelihood. It's what we love.

But not everyone feels that way about music. Some people may just (gasp) like music. It's what they do when they jog, drive to work, and sit while their oil gets changed at Jiffy Lube. These are the people that (may) want their music to be easy, catchy, and instantly accessible. I like Don Caballero, Fennez, and Godspeed as much as the next guy. But I can totally understand why someone would prefer Katy Perry to any of them. When it comes to music, some people are just tourists.

And guess what fella? In many other aspects of your life, you're just a tourist too. Every time you grab a hoagie from Wawa, some chef is probably pulling his hair out, extolling the virtues of "real food".

When I go to throw on a movie, I want something easy and entertaining. I want something with a payoff. Should I be "ashamed of myself" for enjoying The Incredible Hulk over Inland Empire, because the Hulk movie is "technology-perverting excess"?

To be honest, I thought Inland Empire was three hours to long. And I love Edward Norton. Liv Tyler's lookin good too.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:29 pm

superaction80 wrote:Sorry, man. But you have to admit that its a sweet sig.
it only serves to drive me on to even greater verbiage!

and yah, it does kinda rule.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Mklein wrote:
jessemesasavage wrote:

Every time you grab a hoagie from Wawa, some chef is probably pulling his hair out, extolling the virtues of "real food".

Damn I miss Wawa!

vorian
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vorian » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 am

It'd be nice if you didn't drag Christianity through the mud based on people who obviously don't give a crap how God would want them to treat other people, and who are basically just exploiting an image to sell music to another demographic. As long as that clarification is included, I have no problem with what's been said about the Christian music industry as in my limited experience I've gotten the impression that it is pretty ugly.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 am

vorian wrote:It'd be nice if you didn't drag Christianity through the mud based on people who obviously don't give a crap how God would want them to treat other people
Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the modern Christians who feel persecuted. There are millions and millions of dead people who died at the hands of Christian persecutors over the years, who probably wouldn't sympathize with you for being figuratively "dragged through the mud" based on the actions of others.

I'm Not The Platypus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by I'm Not The Platypus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 am

bizarre thread morph
www.the23rdcentury.com

vorian
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vorian » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the modern Christians who feel persecuted. There are millions and millions of dead people who died at the hands of Christian persecutors over the years, who probably wouldn't sympathize with you for being figuratively "dragged through the mud" based on the actions of others.
It really makes no sense to take out your disgust for what's been done in the name of Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) on the religion in general, especially when none of that would have ever happened if those people hadn't completely disregarded the tenets of their so-called faith. I can understand being angry at "Christians" who perpetrated mass slaughters, and it makes me just as angry looking at it from inside, but I've met plenty of Christians, and none of them have ever killed anyone. In fact most of them make an effort daily to treat people with kindness and respect. Why would you insult these people by lumping them in with a bunch of murderers?

Bizarre thread morph indeed. I'm done after this. I'm not trying to stir up bad blood, and maybe I read more into the remarks that got made than was really being implied. I really do get why a lot of people are turned off by Chrstianity. Very spotted past.