My solo project - new recording

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

My solo project - new recording

Post by somniferum » Fri May 23, 2008 1:02 am

Greetings all! Here's a link to a myspace page for my solo project. I just finished recording and mixing (minimal mixing) this song last weekend. The recording was a bit rushed and could have come out better, but I plan on rerecording it later. This is just a rough demo version. I'd be interested to hear any possible feedback.

-Brian

Here's the link:www.myspace.com/somniferumky
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Tue May 27, 2008 4:57 pm

Needs more song.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Tue May 27, 2008 10:18 pm

brainfreezebob wrote:Needs more song.
I fell for it too.

Hmmm....

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Trippy!

Post by firesine » Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 pm

I like where you are going with this. The guitar sounds very cool and the distant drums work in this situation. It's a very sparse arraingment and I think it would work well with vocals... however I see that you want to do an instrumental.

What I would do is try to incorporate the nature theme into the piece more than just as an intro. Do some more field recordings and use them as a soundbed to created development and interest.

Cool stuff!
Mmm, lung butter.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 am

In case you're not already planning this, consider fading the water sounds out as the guitar comes in, instead of just cutting them off. I like the idea of more nature sounds, and I think less is more in that sense. Did I just contradict myself?

I am mesmerized by the wierd auto-wah doubling of the guitar panned far right, or at least that's what it sounds like. Maybe some more reverb on that part, or even a little flanger or phaser? There's nothing I like better with my wah than a light touch of flange - it makes it go all watery.

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by somniferum » Fri May 30, 2008 11:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
@firesine: I definitely plan on using more nature sounds/field recordings in future tracks, besides just as an intro, but a lot of that will have to wait until I have the funds for a better/more sensitive portable recorder. Right now I use a 70s Sony tape player with its attached cardiod pattern mic. It really doesn't work that bad for what it is. The distant sound of the drums may just be some room sound coming through, as I did not apply any artificial reverb to any of the drum tracks (Floor tom and a snare track).
GooberNumber9 wrote:In case you're not already planning this, consider fading the water sounds out as the guitar comes in, instead of just cutting them off. I like the idea of more nature sounds, and I think less is more in that sense. Did I just contradict myself?
I defintely wanted to fade the water sounds out as the guitar comes in, unfortunately this song was recorded in Garageband, and I am not sure how to do a fade in that program. It is such a basic feature, it has to be there somewhere.
GooberNumber9 wrote:I am mesmerized by the wierd auto-wah doubling of the guitar panned far right, or at least that's what it sounds like. Maybe some more reverb on that part, or even a little flanger or phaser? There's nothing I like better with my wah than a light touch of flange - it makes it go all watery.
Thanks for the input, it is a doubled guitar track, and I used a plug-in (would have to open the song file to remember the name) and reverb. I would like to add a bit of flange or phasing, but Garageband limits you to two plug-in instances per track. I have Logic Express 7.1, and plan on sending this song over to Logic when I get more comfortable with the program and do some tweaking with it there.
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut