Good music movies

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

comfortstarr wrote:
--The Last Waltz
Somewhat uneven concert film, but the high points are easily worth a watch.
My favourite part of this movie is where Clapton's guitar strap falls off and Robbie Robertson jumps in with a solo without missing a beat (followed by a look over to Levon Helm with an expression that says "phew - I got away with that one". His solo blew away anything Clapton played on that song too.

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:58 am

AstroDan wrote:Coal Miner's Daughter. Wonderful movie that happens to have music in it.
Yeah, Sissy Spacek does a great job of actually singing all the songs, not lip synching to someone else's voice as in so many biopics.

Beverly D'Angelo is great as Patsy Cline too.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:57 pm

JefffM wrote:
comfortstarr wrote:
--The Last Waltz
My favourite part of this movie is where Clapton's guitar strap falls off and Robbie Robertson jumps in with a solo without missing a beat (followed by a look over to Levon Helm with an expression that says "phew - I got away with that one". His solo blew away anything Clapton played on that song too.
My favorite part is Neil Young's clearly visible, enormous coke booger.

[<|>]

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:04 pm

kdarr wrote:
JefffM wrote:
comfortstarr wrote:
--The Last Waltz
My favorite part is Neil Young's clearly visible, enormous coke booger.

[<|>]
My favorite part is Van Morrison in a purple jumpsuit doing karate kicks. So classic.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 pm

Some of these VH-1 classic album series are pretty interesing. As we speak, I'm watching "Electric Ladyland." I think I've seem them on netflix. They go in the studio with Eddie Kramer, and interview the original players. I've seen others that are pretty cool as well.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Re: music in the movies

Post by mikeyc » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 am

lukievan wrote:Tapeheads, with John Cusack and Tim Robbins, is good.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tapeheads/
A silly movie. I own it more as a Mike Nesmith fan than as a Sam & Dave or Junior Walker fan. The DVD came with a cd single of the Swanky Modes tune. Fun stuff. Fishbone is awesome as Ranchbone.

Let It Be is fascinating. The bootlegs sound like poop, but riveting nonetheless.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is crappy, but it's historically terrific. You can witness Frampton and the Bee Gees destroy their own credibility on screen!

baronvon
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by baronvon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:34 am

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Seriously funny movie with some hilarious tunes.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:43 am

No kidding!

I'm currently doing a record with Benji Hughes, who co-wrote "Let's Duet."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

baronvon
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by baronvon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:01 pm

cgarges wrote:I'm currently doing a record with Benji Hughes, who co-wrote "Let's Duet."
"I'm gonna beat off ... all my demons"

Cuh-lassic.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:48 pm

really? Im going to have to be the one to say it? Fine
Purple Rain
and really all the prince movies. Graffiti Bridge really wasn't good but Under the cherry moon was great! Also I cant believe that no one has said quadraphonia? Tommy was decent too.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:16 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:Also I cant believe that no one has said quadraphonia?
actually, i did mention that film. :o
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:28 pm

baronvon wrote:
cgarges wrote:I'm currently doing a record with Benji Hughes, who co-wrote "Let's Duet."
"I'm gonna beat off ... all my demons"

Cuh-lassic.
You should hear his Christian music song.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:
Also I cant believe that no one has said quadraphonia?

actually, i did mention that film. Surprised
oops. Must have missed that. well its still a great movie.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

saint360
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saint360 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 pm

Tatertot wrote: Mystery Train.
quote]

Love Mystery Train. A great film. The soundtrack recontextualizes those classic songs so you forget all you know about them. They serve the same purpose as the recurring train sound effects serve--they are part of the landscape and sonic world of the movie, as if Memphis is this organism that just sort of organically spews them out. Genius sound design/music supervision.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:43 am

saint360 wrote:
Tatertot wrote: Mystery Train.
quote]

Love Mystery Train. A great film. The soundtrack recontextualizes those classic songs so you forget all you know about them. They serve the same purpose as the recurring train sound effects serve--they are part of the landscape and sonic world of the movie, as if Memphis is this organism that just sort of organically spews them out. Genius sound design/music supervision.
That is a classic...haven't seen that in a looong time. This will be re-viewed by myself sometime soon. I always enjoy Jarmusch films. I also really enjoyed the new one 'Broken Flowers' with Bill Murray and much appreciate the way music was integrated into this one as well. The soundtrack is not quite as integral as it was with 'Mystery Train', but Jarmusch deserves MAJOR props for exposing the world to the ethio-jazz of Mulatu Astatke. I'm thinking he became as obsessed as myself (and many others) with these amazing sounds and figured out a way of getting it into his film. If you don't watch the movie, do yourself a favor and pick up the soundtrack or go get 'Ethiopiques Vol. 4' - prob. the best source for Mulatu's music. Some of my favorite music in the world...seriously. I've turned several friends on to this stuff who also agree and bring it up in conversation on a regular basis.

The other music in the film is also used quite nicely. I love the use of the Greenhornes/Holly Golightly tune to kick off the movie.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm