Good music movies

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Bird- Forrest Whitaker is terrific in Eastwood directed downer.
Tender Mercies- Duvall kills as country singer.
Honkytonk Man- Eastwood as dieing (TB) country singer.
Heavy Metal- cartoon, with Hagar, Riggs, etc. on soundtrack
Singles- grunge-amentery, sorta.
Round Midnight- Dexter Gordon stars.
Prey for Rock and Roll- Gershon; bought the DVD but haven't seen yet; awesome cover shot, tho'.
Rock Star- Marky-Mark W. in Judas Priest story.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 pm

I just saw a movie at the Toronto International Film Festival called, "It Might Get Loud". It's a documentary about the electric guitar from the points of view of The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White. I don't know what's happening with the release of the film, but it's totally worth watching if you get the chance. All three of them were in the theatre watching with us too, which was pretty cool.

I don't think anyone has mentioned:

Festival Express
Everyone Stares, The Police Inside Out
Buena Vista Social Club
That Thing You Do

Not exactly a movie, but the DVDs of the Classic Album series are great.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm

sorry didn't read the whole post but...........TRAINSPOTTING! Blur's best song by miles is on it.

edoggified
audio school

Post by edoggified » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:20 pm

On The Road with Duke Ellington, an amazing 1974 documentary that'll make you realize how classless, talentless and lazy you really are! (in a good way)

Seriously, though... for anyone who's ever been on the road and felt creatively stifled, watch this movie.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:29 pm

How about "the Ruttles, All you need is cash". Not sure if that was mentioned, but if it has Ill second it!
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 am

meeting people is easy and the wilco movie both get an extra thumb up from me.

but also to add, I watched that Dixie Chicks movie "shut up and sing" which is mainly about the whole bush controversy, but has a fair share of live and studio footage and some cool songwriting clips, so it wasn't a complete loss, as I'm not a "fan" of them per-se, but rather, looking for a movie under the vein of this thread.

Also, not much studio footage, but a good bit of dialogue about it in the Engine Down DVD that just came out a few months ago, I think it's called From Beginning to End, and they were, of course, one of my favorite bands and I sorely miss them, so if you dig the whole DC/VA thing... totally pick that up. (which reminds me, extra +1 for Instrument as well).

There's a red hot chilli peppers movie about making B.S.S.M too, it's basically ALL studio footage, and fucking incredible. Rick Rubin rules, I must say.

Also, speaking of him Fade to Black, the Jay-Z flick is great for seeing some hip-hop production in action. Totally worth the watch, and the show is bangin too with the Roots and all.

ok, end rant!
off somewhere listening.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm

trask wrote:
There's a red hot chilli peppers movie about making B.S.S.M too, it's basically ALL studio footage, and fucking incredible. Rick Rubin rules, I must say.
Do you know what it's called?

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:23 pm

its called Funky Monks. its way legit. seriously.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 am

OH DAMN! I totally forgot that "Classic Albums: Making Dark Side of the Moon" documentary. That one is amazing, and I think there are others, but I haven't seen them, but if they're as good as that one, I bet they're awesome.
off somewhere listening.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:28 pm

OH DAMN! I totally forgot that "Classic Albums: Making Dark Side of the Moon" documentary. That one is amazing, and I think there are others, but I haven't seen them, but if they're as good as that one, I bet they're awesome.
There are many of them and they are all awesome. I like the Night at the Opera one, Frank Zappa's Apostraphy/Overnight Sensation, and the whos Whos next.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:59 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:
There are many of them and they are all awesome. I like the Night at the Opera one, Frank Zappa's Apostraphy/Overnight Sensation, and the whos Whos next.
My favourites are Dark Side, Paul Simon's Graceland, U2's Joshua Tree, Bob Marley's Catch a Fire, Lou Reed's Transformer, The Band's S/T and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.

The Nirvana, Who, Elton John, Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Sex Pistols, Grateful Dead and Metallica are all good.

The Cream, Desreali Gears was a waste of time.

Has anyone seen the Jay-Z or Stevie Wonder? I really hope they re-release the Stevie so I can see it.

a.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:19 am

Tom Dowd and Language of Music - I just watched it. Holy cow. His glee is so infectious, and his stories! I love the story about Eric Clapton and Duane Allman. That bit about "Layla" actually made the song sound new and interesting again to my weary ears.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Christmas on Mars is pretty fun, the popcorn isn't that great

http://www.flaminglips.com/christmassplash/

"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Spindrift wrote:My favourites are Dark Side, Paul Simon's Graceland, U2's Joshua Tree, Bob Marley's Catch a Fire, Lou Reed's Transformer, The Band's S/T and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.

The Nirvana, Who, Elton John, Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Sex Pistols, Grateful Dead and Metallica are all good.

Has anyone seen the Jay-Z or Stevie Wonder? I really hope they re-release the Stevie so I can see it.

a.
The Songs In The Key Of Life one was great. One of the better ones. Haven't seen the Cream one, but I thought the Hendrix one was super lame.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:48 pm

cgarges wrote:
Spindrift wrote:My favourites are Dark Side, Paul Simon's Graceland, U2's Joshua Tree, Bob Marley's Catch a Fire, Lou Reed's Transformer, The Band's S/T and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.

a.
The Songs In The Key Of Life one was great. One of the better ones. Haven't seen the Cream one, but I thought the Hendrix one was super lame.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
The Motorhead one is the best by far. Lemmy is a force of nature. There is not so much technical detail but come on. I have it saved on my DVR and I watch it often.

The U2 and Nirvana are perhaps the most illuminating in regards to the actual recording process, as distinct from the creative process. Def Leppard is pretty good too.

Okay, they're all pretty good. The Motorhead one is the best though.