Good music movies

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:37 pm

I just got to check out a screening copy of The Wrecking Crew documentary that Denny Tedesco did. Really well-done!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

stevelew
audio school

Post by stevelew » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Step Across The Border, which is about Fred Frith

There's lots of good Zappa on film/DVD. Baby Snakes & Dub Room Special come to mind, ymmv depending on which band you're partial to. I saw a great documentary by some Dutch (Belgian) guy a few years back at an actual movie theater, but I don't think it's out.

My favorite one of those classic albums documentary (that I've seen) is The Band. The Motorhead one is great, and the Aja one (but he's gotta be joking about those guitar solo outtakes). I'll definitely be checking out the Songs in the Key of Life one.

Palmer
audio school graduate

Post by Palmer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Went through the pages and didn't notice these:

Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains, no one ever told me about this, why the hell not!

Bob Dylan: The Other Side of the Mirror: Live at the Newport Folk Festival 1963-1965, put off watching this for months, finally watched it after reading Positively 4th Street. See Dylan transform into a mainstage maniac.

Thanks for reminding me about the Dead Moon doc!

stooge
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stooge » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:13 am

Almost Famous: Stillwater is the best 70s band that never existed.

Driver 23: I don't even know how to describe it.

The Wall.

daniel ramirez
ass engineer

Post by daniel ramirez » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 am

I like the Anthem to Beauty bout the Grateful Deads Studio work, my favorite part is the engineer freaking out when Bobby insists that he wants to record the sound of "thick air"

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:51 am

daniel ramirez wrote:I like the Anthem to Beauty bout the Grateful Deads Studio work, my favorite part is the engineer freaking out when Bobby insists that he wants to record the sound of "thick air"
Off on a semi-related side note, the Phil Lesh autobiography has some great chapters about their studio antics in the late 1960s. They would head down to LA and take over a studio for several weeks and ingest various performance enhancement substances and attempt crazy things like the aforementioned 'thick air'.

I am a barely closeted recovering Deadhead (from high school years, of course) and I must mention their brief appearance in "Gimme Shelter", which has already been mentioned in this thread. Classic. Not a performance, just standing around trying to take in the news.

Then there is the VH1 classic albums about "American Beauty" and "Workingman's", which might draw from the same material as the film you mentioned. There was an interesting and thoughtful process there. The coda to "Sugar Magnolia" was supposedly a first take with Weir reading the lyrics off a freshly inscribed napkin. They don't get enough credit for their studio stuff but there was some cool stuff.

Okay, you can all have your thread back.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:28 pm

stooge wrote:Almost Famous: Stillwater is the best 70s band that never existed.

Driver 23: I don't even know how to describe it.

The Wall.
I just discovered "Almost Famous" around the same time I discovered the band "captain beyond".
That movie should have been about captain beyond. they rock.

Music Movies?
Blues Brothers.
Get Crazy,
Dogs in Space.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:14 am

Best ever "Classic Albums" DVD: John Lennon "Plastic Ono Band". Seriously, buy this without hesitation.

Klaus Voorman - most underrated bassist EVER.

uncle bastard
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by uncle bastard » Tue May 05, 2009 5:52 am

'We Jam Econo' the Minutemen documentary is fantastic. The first disc is the documentary, mainly Mike Watt with interviews with Spot, Joe Baiza, Ian Mackaye and loads of others, plus some live clips. Disc two is three live gigs, two electric and one acoustic plus the few videos they made for early Mtv. I won't say that there's any massive insight into their recording process, but it's a fascinating introduction to a groundbreaking band.
"Dude, whatdya think of this?" (Smacks guitar with a rubber chicken)"

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Great thread!

Lots of films I love are already listed here, just discovered Electric Apricot, and having toured on the edge of the Jamband scene, it is just too accurate. I think I've played with the band that inspired it. We Jam Econo is just too sweet and sad. Any of the Making Of... discs are worth watching at least once, my faves are Dark Side, Zappa, the Band, Aja, and the Stevie one.

Some more:

Sun Ra: Space is the Place. The best movie about music of all time. Come on, how many films have you seen where a Minimoog solo saves the planet (well, at least all the black people.)

Stranger: Bernie Worrell on Earth. Awesome documentary about one of the most underrated musicians on the planet.

Harry Partch: Enclosure 7: has a great documentary and the full filmed performance of Delusion of The Fury.

The Jazz Icons series of European TV performances from the '60's is pretty stellar, especially the Coltrane, Rahsaan, Mingus & Cannonball discs.

There's a Duke Ellington DVD of his Jazz Mass performance in San Francisco from 1966 that has the concert and a public TV documentary, I can't find the disc right now, probably loaned it out, but it's pretty inspiring.

Fantomas/Melvins Big Band: Live in London 2006

Miles Davis: Another Kind of Blue. Yeah, you have to sit through a lot of kinda pointless interviews, but then you get the complete Isle of Wight performance with both Chick and Keith.

There's more, but I gotta run.

umz
ass engineer

Johnny Depp Blow

Post by umz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Black Betty coming in when Johnny Depp is walking across the airport with cocaine is one of my favorite scenes.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:27 pm

I always confuse "we jam econo" with "this band could be your life"
both great, but the later covers more of the scene in general.
Though I think it is disingenuous of several people in that film to declare that it was "over" by 83 or 84, when they certainly toured as if it wasnt for another 3 or 4 years didnt they!

"Word Sound and Power" awesome doc about 70's era reggae in Jamaica. Earl "chinna" Smith And "Family man" Barrett among others (sorry its been about 15 years since I last saw it!). Careful it will make you want to quit your job, smoke weed and play rock steady reggae everyday for the rest of your life.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Beardaby Jones
ass engineer

Post by Beardaby Jones » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:46 am

uncle bastard wrote:'We Jam Econo' the Minutemen documentary is fantastic.

History Lesson pt II always gives me the chills from that acoustic performance

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:17 am

It's probably been mentioned but I saw one a while ago with Johnny Cash playing at a prison. Fulsom maybe ? I loved it. I like the interview sections of that particular movie, especially the prisoner interviews.

I also bought one recently. It's Ginger Baker driving a range rover across the saharan african desert in the early 70's. I forget what it is called. Anyways, he drives across the desert, then meets and jams with Fela Kuti. It's amazing. I bought it on record day and the name of it is in that thread. ha. Not much help sorry. It's very cool and has these great 70's groovy voiceovers by Ginger Baker, who is a freak.

Also, I like live without a net with Van Halen. On VHS baby.
I'm a bad man!