Good music movies

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:12 am

Yellow Submarine
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Gimme Shelter
and High Fidelity, if we're stretching it

And I love Tapeheads
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:15 am

I don't know why, but I've avoided Tapeheads for years. I guess I'll have to see this now.

How about the movie 'Head', featuring the Monkees. That's a pretty great one. Arguably more interesting than any of those Beatles movies in the same era that it copped moves from...except for Yellow Submarine, which is pretty classic.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 pm

My fave is a movie called "My Dream Is Yours".

-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt02QJy0GvE

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Almost Famous is one of my faves...

"I dig music.... I'm on DRUGS!!"

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 pm

centurymantra wrote:I don't know why, but I've avoided Tapeheads for years. I guess I'll have to see this now.

How about the movie 'Head', featuring the Monkees. That's a pretty great one. Arguably more interesting than any of those Beatles movies in the same era that it copped moves from...except for Yellow Submarine, which is pretty classic.
Bloody hell, I forgot about "Head." Great flick, great soundtrack.
I read that Jack Nicholson and Bob Rafelson wanted to call the film Head so they could advertise their next flick with " From the people who gave you Head."

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:19 am

The Rutles - All You Need is Cash (features the "funny" era SNL cast + Pythons + great songs + trousers).
The Tom Petty documentary got it's own thread, but should be mentioned...

O_ellinas
studio intern

Post by O_ellinas » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:15 am

What? 5 pages of comments and no mention of de Palma's Phantom of the Paradise? Best rock opera ever?

and The Harder they Come, featuring breathtaking performance by Jimmy Cliff?

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:19 am

O_ellinas wrote:What? 5 pages of comments and no mention of de Palma's Phantom of the Paradise? Best rock opera ever?

and The Harder they Come, featuring breathtaking performance by Jimmy Cliff?
Don't forget Speed 2, featuring an amazing performance by UB40 on a cruise ship! And no Keanu! :wink:

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:49 am

I recently learned about TV Party, a documentary about a late 70's/early 80's public access cable show in NYC, on pitchfork.tv. Really great, it has ruined me for most roc docs for a while. Truly inspiring... nice scene of Debbie Harry on a pogog stick sans bra while a stoner jam slams in the background...

The Nomi Song is also a great doc.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Nobody mentioned I walk the line? I always like the Doors movie, too. A Prairie Home Companion isn't really about music, but...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:19 am

the BBC version of The Singing Detective from 1986 (VERY different from the cinema adaptation!) has some fantastic 1940s pop music in it.

the soundtrack is available still, double CD for around $12?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:23 am

scott anthony wrote:nice scene of Debbie Harry on a pogog stick sans bra...
by itself worth the price of admission! :^:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Ooooh... the Doors.

I still recall when it was in theaters, and I found out my Grandparents had gone to it. I was amazed by their hipness... until my 'Nana' replied "We didn't care for it much... we thought it was going to be a musical..."

:shock:

And I'll reach for a limb while I'm here; That Thing You Do.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:23 pm

I just saw Almost Beautiful recently, and it's great. I wish they went into a little more detail with some of the recording scenes, but it has to appeal to a broad audience, I know.

Anyway, fun documentary, great band (assuming you like goth, and regardless of the band's protests to the contrary, that's definitely what they are). If looking over a band's shoulder while they record in a church (one extreme) and are forced to EQ monitors via cell phone (the other extreme) doesn't appeal to you, I don't know why you're here. Plus, there are plenty of other fun bits like the asshole promoter who bands were (apparently) literally lining up to punch, sleepwalking bandmembers, and cases of mistaken identity ("Are you Boy George?").
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:00 pm

scott anthony wrote:I recently learned about TV Party.
It's no Cookie Party.

I just watched I'm Not There, the Dylan(esque(ish)) film with Cate Blanchett. If you're a Dylan fan, you're gonna like. (Bonus: David Cross as Allen Ginsberg!)
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar