This Heat - Peel Sessions

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

This Heat - Peel Sessions

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 am

Anyone here dig This Heat?

I picked up their Peel Sessions album the other day after having their debut in my collection for many many moons. Quite impressed. Sounds like it was recorded yesterday to me. But what do I know...

Track #9 is brilliant. The tape loops and thick, juicy Floor Tom hits. Mmmmm...Yummy.

Post-punk, krautrock, and post-rock at its finest.

iC
pushin' record

Re: This Heat - Peel Sessions

Post by iC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:22 am

Grahambo! wrote:Anyone here dig This Heat?

...Peel Sessions album...

Track #9 is brilliant. ....

Post-punk, krautrock, and post-rock at its finest.
are you speaking of "Made Available"? if so, what is this track 9 you speak of? mine only goes to 8?

Absolutely awesome. i've been fixated on all BBC recordings for a while.... the mono WHO record in all its overdriven pre-amp glory, to much more cleanish recordings like This Heat.... its awesome that there's this huge range of fidelity, but the songs... oh the songs, how they deliver....
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 am

Hmmm... you know... I got the CD burned from a friend. Maybe it had bonus tracks or something? I swear it had like 11 tracks on it. Not sure what the titles are.

It's in my car. I'll check it out when I get out of work.

I'm pretty sure it's #9.

you know what. i just checked. my buddy must have combined the Peel Sessions Disc with the HEalth & Efficiency disc.

"Health and Efficiency" the song is the one I'm talking about. So I suppose my post isn't even relevant anymore haha. In any case, the Peel Sessions disc is amazing. #1 is NOW my favorite :wink: :roll:

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Grahambo! wrote:Sounds like it was recorded yesterday to me.
That's exactly what my impression's always been of them. Waaay ahead of their time. The Peel Sessions are so damn good.

imdrecordings
alignin' 24-trk

Post by imdrecordings » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 am

Bands like Silver Apples & This Heat are amazing! :D
-Scott

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:32 pm

palinilap wrote:
Grahambo! wrote:Sounds like it was recorded yesterday to me.
That's exactly what my impression's always been of them. Waaay ahead of their time. The Peel Sessions are so damn good.
Big fan I want to check this out.......your MST3K Pod People pic is amazing........"It Stinks!"