Hey! Listen to my recording. Thanks!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

theDan
gimme a little kick & snare

Hey! Listen to my recording. Thanks!

Post by theDan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Hello.

Check out this track I am proud of. It was tracked mostly live with minimal microphones (3 mics for basics; drums, bass, guitar, percussion), no comp/eq on the way in, mixed with some parallel compression and very little eq. it really fit the vibe of the band, (not mine but i did play on the track and am the 'producer')

thanks a bunch!

Dan

http://www.lfdmrecords.com/ghost/LONG_WAY_DOWN.mp3

theDan

Post by theDan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Any and all feedback on this approach is welcome.

Even if you think it is bullshit, tell me why.

Thanks!

Dan

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:18 pm

The recording sounds pretty good on my laptop. The vocals a bit out of tune at times, sometimes quite noticeably. Maybe autotune parts of it?

O_ellinas
studio intern

Post by O_ellinas » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:08 am

I listened to it with headphones. I liked it, I would listen to it at home. Good tune. Good job rendering the live feel with minimal miking.

I do not mind the vocals, I would certainly not try to autotune them, I think they are fine as is. I do however mind a few timing glitches in the intro. If you can fix them, fine, but no deal breaker.

Edit : actually, listening again, it's the bass line which has a funny offset beat to it, and I can't decide if it's intentional; I don't like it too much. try maybe to play a simpler bass line on the beat.

theDan

Post by theDan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:09 pm

thanks for listening, and for the kind words.

regarding vocals, i don't think it's detrimental to the song the way it is. i think enough emotion is in his delivery to support it. the band feels the same way. if they would have wanted me to, i would have. i realise it might bug some people, though.

i guess i need to listen to it more for the bass thing you mentioned. these guys are pretty loose, though, so you might be right.

-dan

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Is the snare panned to the right? That weirds me out a little. If you can, bring up the kick, it's a little lost.

I like it though, sounds good, nice raw live vibe.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

out of phase?

Post by ampguy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:38 pm

do you have any phase buttons to try pressing? The beginning reminded me of Frank Zappa, the latter part of Patti Smith.

theDan

Post by theDan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:33 am

Is the snare panned to the right? That weirds me out a little. If you can, bring up the kick, it's a little lost.
well there is not really panning of individual stuff perse, the drums and bass were an LDC in omni at 'crotch' position (panned hard right) and an SCD in cardiod on the hat side, in between the drums and bass cabinet (panned hard left). the SDC mic was about 10 inches off the floor (cement) and pointing between the cab and the kit, about 2 feet back. the cab was about 2 feet to the left of the kit. kind of an equilateral triangle i guess. it does sort of 'lean' a little wierd, because it is two different mics. in mono it doesn't do that, but that was kinda boring sounding.
do you have any phase buttons to try pressing?
well with just those two tracks being the whole rhythm section, i had to make damn sure that in those two mics the bass was in phase. if one is flipped, the bass disappears completely.

The beginning reminded me of Frank Zappa, the latter part of Patti Smith.
really? cool!

thanks

Dan

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:02 pm

sounds great. fun to listen to even on terrible laptop speakers.