free ambient album for download

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

onlyone
ass engineer

free ambient album for download

Post by onlyone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 am

hey, everyone!

after a couple of years of consideration of if, when and how to release some of my longer ambient works, i have decided to finally make it available as a free download. i hope you guys enjoy it, and drop a line if you like it or whatever. or even if you don't!

onlyone - Soundscapes Volume 1

note that the file size is about 142MB.

all the best to all of you.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:57 pm

downloading now... will report. thanks!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Smitty wrote:downloading now... will report. thanks!
thank you!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:18 am

Yay! Free music!
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:48 pm

In for ambient!
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 pm

thanks for checking it out, everyone! hope you dig it!

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Hello Joe!

I like this set a lot. Digging the long format pieces, one gets to sink into the mood and appreciate subtle developments.

There is a sort of soft-grain ring modulation sounding texture or treatment used on a lot of these. What is it? I like it.

Regards,
Scott

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 am

scott!!! how are you? as soon as i saw your name i knew it was you!

glad you're digging this! these are a few pieces i did a few years ago on a korg D1600 hard disk recorder, and i was basically running certain tracks and the mix through the built-in ring mod effects with extreme settings. just kinda letting the effects and the loops beat against each other in slow rhythms and seeing what happens.

great to hear from you, and thanks for checking it out! what have you been up to?
Dakota wrote:Hello Joe!

I like this set a lot. Digging the long format pieces, one gets to sink into the mood and appreciate subtle developments.

There is a sort of soft-grain ring modulation sounding texture or treatment used on a lot of these. What is it? I like it.

Regards,
Scott

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Hello Joe,

The use of the built-in ring mod fx is definitely a win on this stuff. Makes it kind of electronically "aged" in an evocative way.

I've been busy upgrading the home recording situation. Like that process is ever going to be "done" (ha) - but I'm pleased with how it's going.

Recent work at various studios: did some work on the upcoming release from Del Marquis (Scissor Sisters), have done a lot of work with Garvy J, mastering for Walter Sickert and the Army of Broken Toys, and fretless guitar ensemble tracking (in the style I used to do in The Moors) on Sarah Rabdau's upcoming release - Peter Moore producing that, it's going to be cool. And working on my own music.

I should get some of my ambient stuff released. Much to do.

How have you been?

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:48 pm

I downloaded this a year and a half ago, put it on my ipod, and promptly forgot about it! One of the tracks came up on random this week, so I sat and listened to the whole album. I really like it; an enjoyable listen!