Bloc Party - Initmacy

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

kingtoad
pushin' record

Bloc Party - Initmacy

Post by kingtoad » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:51 am

OK, I'm only halfway through this and it seems a little patchy so far, buy what the fuck is going on with the mastering? "Halo" is clipping all over the place, it sounds horrible! I don't want to start another "oh, woe is me, loudness wars kidnapped my wife" style diatribe but really some of the limiting on this record seems to be beyond extreme.

Granted, it is mp3 but at 256kbps I think I should be hearing something pretty similar to the CD.
Last edited by kingtoad on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:52 pm

you are correct. Halo clips the whole way through, and in an entirely unmusical way. oops!

and does Ares remind anybody else strongly of Rage Against The Machine's Testify?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:27 pm

I haven't heard this record yet, but I did use their last album as a yardstick of a LOUD album. If I recall, some songs reached -5 rms. I had just received an album back from a mastering guy and needed a way to quantify how bad of a job he had done, so I was comparing lots of stuff with the meters. The -6 db piece of garbage he sent me sounded far more clipped than the Bloc Party record, but no matter how you slice it, that is LOUD.