new metallica

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:27 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:and speaking of comedy...

this man was once the Ultimate Riff God of Metal.

Maybe that's a gift for their group therapist.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:28 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
ipressrecord wrote: I personally think that it sucks. Don't flame me, please.
i would flame you if you said it was GOOD.

i don't even know where to start. the drums in the beginning....the lyrics....the autotune...the seemingly totally random song structure...the 'riffs'....i mean, as comedy it's brilliant...
I'll recommend tracking down matt smith's st anger tribute song if you haven't already.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:39 pm

I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:52 pm

evengangstersreadtapeop wrote:I forgot to mention that they played a secret show in a record store a month or two ago.
It was in a club called The Basement underneath Grimey's records in Nashville the night before their Bonnaroo performance. It's a great venue but is definitely tiny (meant for locals and touring indies mostly). There are plenty of pics on the web from it.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:47 pm

That photo should be their new album cover. The bass player looks as though he's thinking "why am I here? These guys are PUSSIES!"
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Maybe they should make another go at movies. I kinda liked that.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:25 pm

You know, this song kinda makes me feel better about my own engineering/production skills.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:44 am

They really just make it too easy:

"The day that never comes" >>> the release date for the next great Metallica Record

"Death Magnetic" >>>> Shit Magnetic

Has any band stepped harder or more solidly into shit than these guys? After the RIAA and the therapist movie everything they do seems like perfectly calculated comedy. Even Bob Trujillo seems like he was added as a comic foil or a head-shaking straight man, whose job is to witness their weekly melt-downs. That picture of James on the shopping bender with Trujillo chaparoning is priceless. Absolutely priceless. It would only be half as funny without Trujillo reality-checking the viewer and seeming to say: "Yes, it really is that bad."

Last edited by lancebug on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 am

trujillo is undoubtedly getting paid very well, so good for him. it's gotta suck to get the gig and be all "HOLYSHITIMINMETALLICA!!!!111!!" and then actually have to BE in metallica circa 2008. metallica circa 1985, there was a good band....

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm gonna have to bust out Garage Days now...

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 pm

undoubtedly getting paid very well, so good for him.
But what's he gonna do with the cash?

The other guy already bought Voivod.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:53 am

I see these dorks around town all the time. If ever there was proof that you could be a completely uneducated bigoted asshole troglodyte and be rewarded for it, here it is.

A buddy of mine nearly ended up brawling with hetfield and his buddies at some yuppie dive in marin county.... evidently he was sitting in "James's Seat". What a piece of crap.
Everything louder than everything else.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 am

There's a lot of love for this bunch in the UK at the moment as they just played Reading and Leeds festivals, admittedly very well although Lars clearly can't keep up anymore.

The new recordings, material aside, sound really bad to me. Don't kell me, but personally I even prefer the engineering on St Anger, from what I've heard, than this. At least that sounded intentionally raw and trashy, this new stuff just sounds poorly recorded to me.

I'm no metallica fan so I can't say I'm massively familiar with their back catalog, but that was what immediately struck me upon hearing the new stuff.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:and speaking of comedy...

this man was once the Ultimate Riff God of Metal.

But you gotta admit, Lars looks bitchin' in that pink-flowered dress and he can carry a lot of sticks and blow in that leather bag ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:41 pm

zing!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks