Check out what I did to the kick drum

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Mark Legat
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark Legat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:48 pm

visible cow wrote:+1 on the lock.

This guy needs to read more threads to understand the polite discourse that is pretty much the norm around here.....
Just because what I say back to people who offend me is worse, doesnt make me the one who isnt polite.
RIT 08'

visible cow
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by visible cow » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:57 pm

Homophobic language isn't tolerated around here, personally I find you offensive. Please take a hike.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Mark Legat wrote:Yeah that might make sense if I was attacking anyone, I only said stuff about people who were trying to offend me. And a tough guy on the internet would be saying tough things which I didnt do at all, and I clearly stated that I am sure he has done a lot of cool things too so the step 3 doesnt apply either. Please quote anything I said saying people dont know what theyre doing. Oh yeah, you cant, so that means youre talking out of your ass as much as I am. All youre doing is lying about what I did, and then finishing with a sarcastic note to try and sound smart. And number 4 I admit I did, you faggot.
not even worth my time, bro. i've got nothing to prove in this situation.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Mark Legat
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark Legat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Smitty wrote:
Mark Legat wrote:Yeah that might make sense if I was attacking anyone, I only said stuff about people who were trying to offend me. And a tough guy on the internet would be saying tough things which I didnt do at all, and I clearly stated that I am sure he has done a lot of cool things too so the step 3 doesnt apply either. Please quote anything I said saying people dont know what theyre doing. Oh yeah, you cant, so that means youre talking out of your ass as much as I am. All youre doing is lying about what I did, and then finishing with a sarcastic note to try and sound smart. And number 4 I admit I did, you faggot.
not even worth my time, bro. i've got nothing to prove in this situation.
Actually you do because you lied, so if you dont find anything then you are proven to be a liar.
RIT 08'

Mark Legat
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark Legat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:08 pm

visible cow wrote:Homophobic language isn't tolerated around here, personally I find you offensive. Please take a hike.
Well I am sorry I offended you, but I felt offended by a couple people on this thread and sometimes you have to tough it out man. Nobody took a hike after offending me.
RIT 08'

Mark Legat
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark Legat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:14 pm

T-rex wrote:I don't have beat detective so I can't help you. I usually don't quantize stuff etc. but I do move some stuff around by hand. I think the bass drum may be in time, but the delayed one isn't. it's hard to tell.

I don't think the cymbal bleed would give it that basketball quality? But a clicky mic right up close will definitely do that (AKG D112 - you know who you are). Pull back on whatever frequency has the most click. To find it, solo the drum, crank up an eq at +10 DB and go through the frequencies till the click is the loudest and most anoying - bam you've found the offending freq (or one of the many). Then cut that frequency till it sounds good. Try frequencies that are double or half the freq you originally cut. Click helps cut through a mix but too much is bad. You could also try cranking the hell out of 60 hz or so on a shelving eq to give it a huge bottom. Of course this brings up all the low end craziness and present a whole bunch more problems, but that's half the fun right? You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
Hey man thanks a lot! I'll go mess with it. I remember I used to do that, subtractive EQ, and then for some reason I have been set with the habit of just boosting mostly. I still cut frequencies, but not so much to get rid of offending frequencies. Well yeah thats why, but not a lot of it. I am gonna have to keep that in mind, thanks for making me realize one of the bad habits I have been creating.
RIT 08'

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:09 am

Nice going, Mark. You managed to offend a bunch of people who have helped make this messageboard a useful resource and a constructive place for discussion.
I'm locking this up, but not deleting it. I think having an historical record of someone's b.s. is important.