James McMurtry?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

sad iron
tinnitus

James McMurtry?

Post by sad iron » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Anyone else out there a fan? I sure am. Had his stuff on repeat for the past week or so. Not only do I think he's the finest narrative songwriter of the past 20-25 years (he has lines in songs that make my prose jealous), his records always sound amazing. The tones , especially guitar and vox, are perfect.

Anyone have any insight into where he records or maybe an idea of what's in the signal path? Just curious.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:20 pm

He seems to tend to record in Texas.

His new album, Just Us Kids, is produced by McMurtry and co'd by the band and recordist, recorded and mixed by Stewart Sullivan at Wire in Austin.

I was just talking with a guy today about how terrific this one sounds; much preferred to the last (Childish Things) which I felt was little slick, although done with the same crew.

And the songwriting is vintage McMurtry, although a few songs are more political than usual.

The playing is great, and on keyboard Ian McLagan (!) who is nicely subtle all over the CD. (Last time was Bukka Allen, of Ian Moore, etc.)

On my martoonie scale, it's 4/5 olives.

Also noteworthy is the Visconti-produced new one from Alejandro Escovedo, Animal.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:50 pm

I've always called James McMurtry the Lou Reed of the heartland. Dark brooding and brilliant, but a totally different point of view. He lives in Austin so it makes sense that he records there too. I saw him a few months ago and he was great. I also saw him on my honeymoon, and he was great then too.

His first record "Too Longi n the Wasteland" was produced my Mellencamp and has his band as the players. It's one of my all time favorites.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:42 am

drumsound wrote: I also saw him on my honeymoon, and he was great then too.
:shock:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
drumsound wrote: I also saw him on my honeymoon, and he was great then too.
:shock:
Yeah, you heard that song "Choctaw Bingo" That fella's got some kink on 'im.

Three way!
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:51 pm

I've not heard the new one, but I'll certainly check it out soon. I've been a huge fan of his since "Too Long In The Wasteland". There is not a finer songwriter out there (I thought I'd quote a line from one of his songs, but there's too many to pick). I've seen him many, many times. He doesn't seem to do it anymore, but he used to perform solo with acoustic guitar -WOW! I love the full band, but the songwriting comes front and center in the solo format. And his guitar playing is mesmerizing.

As for his recordings, the early stuff was done up at Mellecamps studio (Belmont Mall) in Indiana with Mike Wanchic and some of the guys from Mellecamp's band. It seems like Lloyd Maines produced some later stuff. I really dig the early albums--most likely for sentimental reasons, but also because of the cast of players. I love his judicious use of the baritone guitar.

I could gush for days...

Interesting note--A friend of mine served as an usher at a wedding with him when James was in his teens. This friend's Grand-parents used to own the "Picture Show" in Archer City, Texas and they were there for a wedding. My friend was a bit younger and thought James was the coolest kid he'd ever seen because James smoked behind the church. Years later...it turns out he wasn't too far off on that assessment.

If you haven't heard him, do yourself a favor.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:15 am

If you get the chance, look for his ACL appearance, also; the interview stuff was hilarious.

I wonder if he's a friend of Kinky Friedman? I know he covered "Mad Man from Borneo" ..
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:45 am

Larry McMurtry is his Dad...writing is in his blood.