New Deerhoof = Awsome

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

visible cow
gimme a little kick & snare

New Deerhoof = Awsome

Post by visible cow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Just got my copy of the new Deerhoof album (can't believe my advance order came already) and it's really fantastic. There was sheet music for each song included....boy, this is a really smart and fun band. They make me want to practice.

I'll be curious to learn how it was recorded. It's pretty hi-fi for Deerhoof and they've finally given the drums the treatment they deserve. Viva la Deerhoof!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:12 pm

Cool

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 pm

just listened to it for the first time today. and hell yeah, i can always count on deerhoof to have a handful of moments where i cannot believe what i am hearing, nice that they never let me down.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:40 am

So, who knows: Do they still self-record? Self-master? If so, they're getting better at it.

jx
gettin' sounds

Post by jx » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:40 am

in a shocking (for Deerhoof) change of affairs, they recorded it at Tiny Telephone in san francisco, and mastered it somewhere else. i think they did the traditional months of editing at home on PT, though...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:52 pm

their budget is bigger this time, why not go to a purpose-built studio and let someone else handle the tracking so they can concentrate on being performers?

the assloads of editing sometimes worries me, but they seem to get excellent results.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

visible cow

Post by visible cow » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:31 pm

It's interesting that they would need to edit so much, it's not like there is a lack of musicianship. Seriously, they are one of the most talented bands in the world......and this coming from a guy who once actively hated them! I have repented.

One thing that I've learned to love is the way they play with tempo and time signatures. Usually when I hear a band that shifts between odd time signatures they end up sounding like math rock, Deerhoof always make it sound off the cuff and completely natural. And I don't know of another band with such a unique sense of melody, they're like the indie rock version of Ornette Coleman.

Anyways I'm gushing. I just love seeing a band that can use such a limited pallet to make such complex and psychedelic music.

visible cow

Post by visible cow » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:35 pm

BTW, this isn't the first time they've gone to Tiny Telephone. Apple O was recorded there by Jay Pellicci. (Who I think has worked on a bunch of Deerhoof stuff including this one)

There's a video on Youtube that shows the band in the studio making this record. Definitely no pods on this one.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:19 pm

My favorite drum sounds they've captured thus far.

noon
ass engineer

Post by noon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 am

I like the recording on the new album. I don't want them to abandon the more fragile, serendipitous-sounding element, but the clean recording suits this material well.

Saw them live the other night, and the club atmosphere and sound really seems limit what they do. Same thing last time. Then, near the end of the set, they 'cleared the air', so to speak, and it was quite refreshing.

Maybe all the editing is part of their Miles Davis influence. I could see them using some of the Bitches Brew approach.

austingreen

Post by austingreen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:22 pm

visible cow wrote: they're like the indie rock version of Ornette Coleman.
+1 on this. I love them and that drummer, for my money, is simply the most entertaining and musical cat in the indie scene. I have to say I am more into Deerhoof live vs the recordings, having yet to hear the new one. The albums never seem to live up to the spirit of the off-the-cuff yet complicated feel they pull off live and make it seem so normal and effortless. I wonder if its the style of recording or the style of music that makes me want to see them and hear it in real life as opposed to a listening only experience.

Also they permit recordings of their sets and there are some good dvds out there of these guys killing at various venues throughout the years. I recommend them to fans of theirs... Also anybody into Nervous Cop??

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 pm

austingreen wrote: Also anybody into Nervous Cop??
oh man, i put that album on just once every couple months to blow my mind a little bit... sheer insanity. i usually just have to laugh at how insane it is.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com