well, the new album is done...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

well, the new album is done...

Post by chconnor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:08 am

Hi all -

Finished my new disc, just got it online. All recorded at home. I would love feedback of any kind (aesthetic, long-range, microscopic, etc) especially on the recording/mixing/mastering tech stuff. I won't say much more so as to avoid predisposin' anyone. :-)

http://caseyconnor.org
discography -> g-g-g-ghosts?

Play mp3s online, download them, or download 16/44.1 if you like.

Right on TapeOp!

-c

tantamo
studio intern

Post by tantamo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:13 am

Some really wonderful music there. Your website really annoys me though, as it's not immediately clear on how to get to your album and how to listen to it.

I like how crystal clear everything sounds. for example on outro I can hear every individual instrument perfectly. I really like the acoustic guitar sounds too, they're great. The only criticism I can think of is some parts of the album start sounding like when you press the demo button on a yamaha keyboard. But i only gave a superficial listen anyway.

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Still listening

Post by BenjaminWells » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 am

I really like "Ballistics." It has this cool R&B thing going on. The found sounds in your kit make it unique. Great work. Keep it up. One question, is this professionally mastered? I suspect not. Having it mixed and mastered professionally, by someone else's ears, would take it to the next level.

JoshRose
pluggin' in mics

Post by JoshRose » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:42 am

Cool songs. Great vibe. Great production.

Great work!

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Post by chconnor » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks for the ears, all...

@BikeSailboatGuitar: no, not professionally mastered, to say the least. :-) I agree with you there.

@tantamo: it's funny that you mention the website because i just spent weeks overhauling it so it wouldn't be confusing. :-) I made some improvements though, based on your comments, so thanks. And your phrase "like when you press the demo button on a yamaha keyboard" is the most perfect summary of a sound that i am always trying to avoid but struggle with... there's a thread somewhere on this board where i asked for tips about how to "dirty up" stuff that suffers from in-the-box syndrome. The outro, incidentally, which is most guilty of that sound, was put together in like a day or two as a potential TV theme but wasn't used (i wonder why? :-) ), so I made it the outro. (This kinda explains the keyboard-demo-sound).

Anyhow, thanks again,
-c