Why does everyone hate Steely Dan?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 am

I can't think about Steely Dan without thinking of this Achewood comic:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06112004

I think the playing and the changes are hip, but I never could get into dude's voice, personally.

[<|>]

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:44 am

floid wrote:i got turned onto SD by a pot-smoking preacher who like to boff his parishoners. I think he probably qualified as a yuppie, while most of them were baby-boomers. Not sure what this says about the typical Dan fan, though
It says your life is like a Steely Dan song.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:37 am

I'm not trying to push any buttons here, but do you think Steely Dan has any black fans? It just seems to me in an effort to be soulful at times the band even comes off as more "white" and to me sometimes it just sounds cheesy.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:20 am

franklloydwrong wrote:i am pretty sure that baby boomers and yuppies were about 15-20 years apart in history, so i don't really associate anything with "baby boomer yuppies".
incorrect.

Baby Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. That would put them between 21 and 39 years old in 1985. Most people who could be correctly identified as "Yuppies" in the 80s (when yuppies actually existed) were also baby boomers.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Knight79 wrote:I'm not trying to push any buttons here, but do you think Steely Dan has any black fans? It just seems to me in an effort to be soulful at times the band even comes off as more "white" and to me sometimes it just sounds cheesy.
at least one. their drummer is black, right?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Electricide wrote:
Knight79 wrote:I'm not trying to push any buttons here, but do you think Steely Dan has any black fans? It just seems to me in an effort to be soulful at times the band even comes off as more "white" and to me sometimes it just sounds cheesy.
at least one. their drummer is black, right?
the bassist on the album 'Aja' was Chuck Rainey.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:05 pm

welp, screw me.....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Knight79 wrote:welp, screw me.....
i think my wife would be very upset with me if i did.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:44 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I didn't have much of an opinion of them. I've never intentionally put on their music.

But, now I absolutely HATE them because you guys keep referring to them as "The Dan". Holy shit is that annoying. It's like when the hippy next door kicks his hackey sac over my fence and when he comes to get it he asks me if I'm "going to see Dave".

Plus, they just look like pussies. Steely Dan actually makes the Eagles look tough.

;)
I would like to nominate this as the post of the month. Frikkin HI-larious!

J7

Paulyg
audio school

Re: Why does everyone hate Steely Dan?

Post by Paulyg » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:20 pm

DrummerMan wrote:Seriously. It seems that I keep running into threads where someone says, "you know, it sounded bad. I mean, it wasn't Steely Dan or anything, but it was close" or (and this is a direct quote from a thread) "...it'd start to sound like a Steely Dan record (no offense)...."

What am I missing? Is it that it's sterile sounding to people? I'm really curious to know what people's issues are with this band's recordings. I'm not trying to defend them. I just want to understand.

And I don't want this to be a big deal or anything. I'm not a Steely Dan fan, per se, I don't own any of their records and I don't really care about them, but I grew up hearing them around alot and I always really liked the way those records sounded. They seem very smooth to me in a pleasant way.

You know, the one drug I've never done is cocaine. Could this be part of why I just "don't get it"???

I dunno. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
I think "reelin in the years" is a classic.

caffiend2049
alignin' 24-trk

Post by caffiend2049 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:59 pm

franklloydwrong wrote: i wasn't sure if it would play right, even though there were no scratches. tomorrow it will be 1/2 off, so should i pick it up anyways? it was two against nature.

hey, for a buck you can't lose. It's a great album. Hell...it even has Vinnie Colaiuta on it.
Of course I may be biased - the summer that record was out I spent a lot of time smokin' pot lazing the days away - free from a roommate for the first time in my life and dating a string of increasingly insane beautiful girls.

yep....Steely Dan was pretty good.

Even drove a convertible....don't recall wearing a scarf much, though.
bigger and better....sooner than later

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:27 am

subatomic pieces wrote: Plus, they just look like pussies. Steely Dan actually makes the Eagles look tough.

;)

http://www.channel101.com/shows/view.php?media_id=1766

griff505
audio school graduate

Post by griff505 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 am

Sampled by:

"Peg" (I know I love you better):

De la Soul: Eye Know

"FM":

"Green Earrings":

Ice Cube: Don't Trust 'Em

"Black Cow":

MF Doom: Gas Drawlz

Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz: Deja Vu

Tatyana Ali: Daydreamin'

Tone-Loc: Cutting Rhythms

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:56 am

mikeyc wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote: Plus, they just look like pussies. Steely Dan actually makes the Eagles look tough.

;)

http://www.channel101.com/shows/view.php?media_id=1766
always a good time.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:02 am

griff505 wrote:

Sampled by:

"Peg" (I know I love you better):

"FM":

"Green Earrings":

Ice Cube: Don't Trust 'Em

"Black Cow":

MF Doom: Gas Drawlz

Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz: Deja Vu

Tatyana Ali: Daydreamin'

Tone-Loc: Cutting Rhythms