the greatest rock and roll moment ever...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:24 am

OK, I don't think this necessarily qualifies as the "greatest" rock moment ever, but I consider these types of moments to be the ones that send chills up the spine, induce wide-eyed-ness, and get the blood pumping, and this continues to fall into this category for me.

A rock band I was in (and still miss terribly) did a couple double bills, one in Jersey, one in Boston, with this band called "Mittens" who really put on an amazing musical performance, IMHO. We got a copy of their, I guess, demo EP, and THIS SONG came on first. The tune is called "Morning Comes". Have a listen.

The guitar sound in the intro is pretty much how I always want guitars to sound, then the drums/percussion come in with a sound that gets as close to the way I feel about the drums on "Taxman" as I think I ever will. That moment is the one I'm referring to.

It doesn't seem like they're still together, which would be a shame, but I thought I'd share that with y'all, other than go into a million great rock moments from 20-50 years ago.

OK, also.... me listening to "Taxman" on studio monitors for the first time, with pan control. That was pretty fucking rock n' roll too.....
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:19 pm

For the metal heads: its Slayer's breakdown in the middle of Angel of Death. the best riff that Tony Iommi did not write.

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:17 pm

the riff in the middle of Angel of Death is so righteous ... good call man.

im gonna go with Van Morrison's kick's during The Last Waltz. Seriously the Last Waltz is pure fury.

probably mitch mitchell's fill into the solo section of Hey Joe and Jimi's first bunch of notes of it are up there too.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:47 am

Electricide wrote:
curtiswyant wrote:Also, the Daltrey's scream on "Baba O'Reilly" is awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah.
you didn't by chance mean won't get fooled again do you?

I remember being sad when I learned enough about recording to hear that that scream at the end of WGFA was at least double tracked. I always thought it was one voice, and just the most awesome scream ever.
Not sure about the double tracking, but I saw the Who last year and Daltrey belted that shit out like none other-- he had a cold too. Fantastic.

One of my faves (aside form every time Daltrey opens his mouth) is the bridge from the Beatles "I've Got a Feeling." Too cool.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:28 am

im gonna go with Van Morrison's kick's during The Last Waltz. Seriously the Last Waltz is pure fury.
Dude. YES! When he really digs in to those kicks I get goosebumps every time. They way the rest of the band is looking at each other, smiling, being just as entertained as anyone in the audience...

THAT is rock and roll.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:34 am

"ever had the feeling you've been cheated?" -- John Lydon at the Sex Pistol's last gig in SF (rough quote).

The end of "Rock and Roll Queen" by Mott the Hoople -- beautiful chaos.

Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

Dylan at Newport.

Hendrix at Monterey.

Who at Woodstock.

I totally agree with the "The highway's jammed with broken heroes. . ." moment in Born to Run, too!

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:37 am

The intro to Sister Midnight by Iggy Pop

sparkyness
audio school graduate

Post by sparkyness » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:07 am

Andrew Weiss' bass "noise" at 3:11 of "Low Self Opinion" by the Rollins Band during the 3rd verse....f*cking magnificent. I wanna break stuff!

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Gimme Shelter (the song); the female vocal part around the second chorus, where she breaks up the "hey-yay!"

That is the perfect rock and roll song. The intro, the sonics, the title...

Goodness.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:40 pm

^agree.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:30 am

sparkyness wrote:Andrew Weiss' bass "noise" at 3:11 of "Low Self Opinion" by the Rollins Band during the 3rd verse....f*cking magnificent. I wanna break stuff!
Ah, good one.

Has anyone mentioned the Mick's solo in Moonage Daydream? SO rock n roll. Actually, pretty much that whole song is.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:59 am

mikeyc wrote:
Electricide wrote:
curtiswyant wrote:Also, the Daltrey's scream on "Baba O'Reilly" is awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah.
you didn't by chance mean won't get fooled again do you?

I remember being sad when I learned enough about recording to hear that that scream at the end of WGFA was at least double tracked. I always thought it was one voice, and just the most awesome scream ever.
Not sure about the double tracking, but I saw the Who last year and Daltrey belted that shit out like none other-- he had a cold too. Fantastic.

One of my faves (aside form every time Daltrey opens his mouth) is the bridge from the Beatles "I've Got a Feeling." Too cool.
listen at the end of the scream where the pitch descends, you'll hear them diverge.

kenl666
ass engineer

Post by kenl666 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:01 am

Personally, my fav rock n roll moment ever is when Spinal Tap get lost backstage...
:P

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:03 pm

kenl666 wrote:Personally, my fav rock n roll moment ever is when Spinal Tap get lost backstage...
:P
Rock and Roll!

Chaconne
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chaconne » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Not Rock pe se - but great Tangerine Dream sequencer starts - like Rubycon.

Also I still get thrown my that odd start to Pink Floyds The Wall. I saw that live, and they dicked about pretending it was about to start with announcements and stuff - and it suddenly went off with white- out explosions and fireworks.

Never did find my head.