new Ray LaMontagne - "Gossip in the Grain"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cjac9
gettin' sounds

new Ray LaMontagne - "Gossip in the Grain"

Post by cjac9 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Anyone else listened to it yet?

I'm loving it, sounds amazing.

I got my version on vinyl. On the label it reads, "Digitally Recorded." That was a shocker. I didn't think Ethan worked in digital, I kind of respected him for being so "old school." Nothing against digital, it's just one of his "things."

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 pm

I think it sounds amazing on the listen and a half I've had so far.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

oldsoulsound
ass engineer

Post by oldsoulsound » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:37 pm

I just ordered the double LP.
Saw him live at Radio City with Ethan on drums,
Truly inspiring, amazing concert.
Great sound and Ray seems to be adopting a small stage presence that was a bit absent from last year at the Beacon theater.
I hope Ray and Ethan continue to make records together. This is a perfect match that keeps getting better.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 am

I was gonna start this thread if no one else had.

I think it's great. But I do fear this is the classic "point" at which the artist emerges from the underground and the old fans are lost forever in the flock of newb listeners who worship his "better recordings". I knew the second I heard him he was gonna pretty big. I guess when you're that good, it's just a matter of time...

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

GCMan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GCMan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:45 am

I don't have the album in front of me but doesn't it have one song that starts with the tape coming to play speed. If this album isn't recorded analog, it's one of the best digital albums I've heard....ever.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Just got home from this tour. One of the top three most amazing experiences of my life.

Fun fact: The live show is mixed on a first-gen digital console (with a little help from an eight-pack of Seventh Circle pres and a Crane Song Hedd).

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:16 pm

SuperDeuce wrote:I was gonna start this thread if no one else had.

I think it's great. But I do fear this is the classic "point" at which the artist emerges from the underground and the old fans are lost forever in the flock of newb listeners who worship his "better recordings". I knew the second I heard him he was gonna pretty big. I guess when you're that good, it's just a matter of time...

Mike
umm. dude ... I think he's already pretty huge, in terms of airplay. I am forced to listen to a lot of satellite and fm radio during the week and his "Trouble" song and a couple others have been pretty much inescapable for the past 24 months or so. He's maybe not a celebrity like Beyonce or something but he's definitely getting his stuff out there for a while now.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:46 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:
SuperDeuce wrote:I was gonna start this thread if no one else had.

Mike
umm. dude ... I think he's already pretty huge, in terms of airplay. I am forced to listen to a lot of satellite and fm radio during the week and his "Trouble" song and a couple others have been pretty much inescapable for the past 24 months or so. He's maybe not a celebrity like Beyonce or something but he's definitely getting his stuff out there for a while now.
I agree. He's been around, but what I meant was I fear him coming to that "beyonce" level shortly. Or just under that. I guess what I mean is, It would be wierd to see him at John Mayor status... get me?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:55 pm

SuperDeuce wrote:
I agree. He's been around, but what I meant was I fear him coming to that "beyonce" level shortly. Or just under that. I guess what I mean is, It would be wierd to see him at John Mayor status... get me?
Yeah, I getcha. He's more like at the status of Norah Jones right before she won all those grammys. She has somehow handled her fame and fortune; maybe Mr. Ray can too.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:57 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:
SuperDeuce wrote:
Yeah, I getcha. He's more like at the status of Norah Jones right before she won all those grammys. She has somehow handled her fame and fortune; maybe Mr. Ray can too.
Good analogy. I am a Nora fan also. And yes, I'm hoping he does too. I hate to be one of those types who whines when "their" artist gets bigger and more people notice. It's a wierd thing... How is it fair to hope an artist you love never gets attention for their talent? But I think most of us have been on that boat at one time or another.

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:06 pm

I really dig the old album. But in my opinion till the sun turns black is better. I consider empty to be one of the greatest songs i've ever heard.

But the new one is stil really good. I saw him at the schnitz in portland which was amazing. One thing i think is really cool is that he is extremely shy. but when he plays he plays with such energy and emotion. I swear he cried when he played Let it be. He wiped under his eyes and no where else on his face after.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Re: new Ray LaMontagne - "Gossip in the Grain"

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:30 pm

cjac9 wrote:I got my version on vinyl. On the label it reads, "Digitally Recorded."
Arent almost all LPs pressed from a 16/44.1 digital source these days?
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".