The Notwist

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

The Notwist

Post by thieves » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:20 am

I've loved both records this band has done this decade, but never saw them live until last night. If you like them and the tour is coming through your city, I highly suggest it. Get up front and bring earplugs. I did the former, and am regretting not doing the latter.

Anyway, it was such a great example of how bands can incorporate click tracks/backing tracks and still sound human/spontaneous. The drummer was super tight when he needed to be, and crazy loose when the songs needed that energy. There was a lot of fun gearhead-type stuff happening, too... like midi control via two wii controllers.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:49 am

Sweet. Great records.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:51 pm

I saw them a few years ago in NY, fantastic show. Highly recommended.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

sparkyness
audio school graduate

Post by sparkyness » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:59 am

Agree with the recommendations....saw them in Dublin earlier in the year. The other half and I pissed ourselves at the Wii controllers.

We saw them the same week that the latest album was released so we weren't familiar with the new stuff but it sounded immense. It was almost an anticlimax hearing the recorded versions as it lacked the live energy and bottom end.

I also enjoyed seeing them in Brussels several years ago on the Welheim on tour mini-festival package they went around Europe with. It was The Notwist and all of their side-projects (Console, Ms John Soda, etc) over two nights. Quite possibly the best gig(s) I've ever been to....

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:18 am

yeah, after seeing them live i'm really surprised how minimal they decide to go on record