"I'm Getting Pretty Good At Giving Up"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:20 am

timmymacdd wrote:I love the quotes about the guys showing their wifes....lol I can see all of us sitting around on the computer readin tape op bullitens and then showing our wifes songs.......they probably think we are losers....LOL-
quote]

Hey I resemble that remark! :lol:

Actually, my wife and I met when we worked at a record store so fortunately she is a huge music fan.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:42 am

My wife is used to it by now. She nods and smiles through my stories about how I traded my beat Mesa Boogie Dual Rec for a mint 70s Hiwatt and I nod and look contemplative through her stories about catching stray dogs and cats and giving their owners citations.

I don't usually share random music I find with her, but I figured she'd like this song and she did.

I can't wait to hear the final mix and master actually. Given the reaction you could probably release this as a single dynomike, heh.

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Holy crap I cannot stop listening to this song, the production is great but most importantly the song is amazing. Would you be interested maybe doing a split 7" I could send you some stuff i've done? I need this on my Ipod asap.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:58 pm

also what kind of acoustic did you use and mic setup, it sounds very rich and awesome.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:19 pm

Just to be like all the other losers I got some crack and drunk some booze and played this song right now for my kids and wife....WIll let you know....lol

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm

GoatKnuckles wrote:also what kind of acoustic did you use and mic setup, it sounds very rich and awesome.
Ah I love it too. :) Its a Larivee D03 (their entry level dreadnought), strummed with my fingernail (actually, I didn't use a pick on any of the tracks on this song). Same mic/pre/compressor chain as the vocals (lawson l47fet->hamptone tube->ny2a->ny2a) and also a pair of audio-technica 4040's in XY in the corner of the room (hamptone jfet)

Email me about the 7" idea, could be cool! mikekuehn@gmail.com
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Is this song a HIT already or what?
It sucks because I turned it up too loud in my phones to be objective first listen compressed version,BUTT, I like the under-compressed version better. I wouldn't touch the vocal. I might brighten the snare a hair in the choruses, and i mean a HAIR, little skinny one, maybe with some exciter, and give the bass a little more definition, JUST A LITTLE, hardly enough change to notice, which means I think it's close to perfect.
I LOVE the quirkiness of it.
It will get compressed enough in people's systems.
Harumph!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:12 am

I like the song and the sounds but I strongly dislike the distorted vocal sound. Not necessarily the idea of distortion, but that particular flavor of distortion.

Something like SM58 playing with huge EAW PA speakers as monitors full blast right behind them as one records is one of my favorite "distorted vocal sound" things.

but I'm clueless.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:49 am

rwc wrote:I like the song and the sounds but I strongly dislike the distorted vocal sound. Not necessarily the idea of distortion, but that particular flavor of distortion.

Something like SM58 playing with huge EAW PA speakers as monitors full blast right behind them as one records is one of my favorite "distorted vocal sound" things.

but I'm clueless.
Hopefully thats the blockfish plugin, not the way I tracked it.. We'll see where the mix goes.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:05 am

Make sure you pot it, it rocks. Lucky dog.
Harumph!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:05 am

Low tech review: On the lil' Altec Lansing computer speakers here, the uncompressed one actually seems to make the vocal clearer. I kinda wish the whole vocal track was a hair louder.

There might be a couple syllables where the intonation's slightly off -- easily repaired. I don't know how you even pulled off singing the song up there.

If I'd written something that accessible, and that strong lyrically, I would run around like crazy trying to win some contests with it, and posting it at sites where people who buy music for movies & shows could license it.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:16 am

You have made it to my top ten....I even have you rotated in the party suffle of itunes......that song is one of the only like say 10 songs I have ever heard on the internet that is good.

Usually when someone asks for an opinion or tells me to check out their beats, they suck my ass....

This song is good.....SO I tried to show my wife......she hates music....

Then I tried to film my daughter rocking out to it......but it was too crappy to post......

So I love the studio you have going on as well.....that looks cool. great colors and messy style.....it looks like work gets done there. every messy studio I have ever went into is where most of my favorite music comes from.

I will try to play that song again and see what happens....I am trying not to tell them it came from here....just some new hot group...hehe....I like the genuine "I like it's" better than the "hey ,do you like it?" s LOL

David Piper
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David Piper » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 am

This is great; just two thoughts that I have - I agree the vocal could be a touch louder. And I like the distortion on it, but the very first word - the "I" hits me a little funny, especially because I don't know it's 'supposed' to be distorted yet. Maybe try automating that syllable down in volume, or automate a lower compression threshold for it? Drums sound really good.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Brian wrote:Make sure you post it, it rocks. Lucky dog.
Harumph!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:18 pm

new mix. thanks for all the comments guys :oops:

http://www.sleepytownsound.com/mike/GIVING%20UP.mp3