"Secret" Great Recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 am

For some reason, I immediately thought of the debut (and best) album by the Rain Parade - 'Emergency Third Rail Power Trip'. A very, very fine slab of psych pop from the L.A. "paisley underground"...and with great sound quality as well. A lot of stuff from that era hasn't quite stood the test of time, but I still love this record. This is the only record that also featured David Roback (who went on to Opal and Mazzy Star) and it stands head and shoulders above the later Rain Parade records. Doesn't sound dated at all to my ears.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 am

the czars "goodbye"
"meow" - a cat

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 am

Bill Horist-- Songs from the Nerve Wheel

Bill does some really beautiful prepared guitar stuff... I'd highly recommend any of his work. See him live, if you get the chance.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 am

dr.ona wrote:
RefD wrote:Neil Finn - Try Whistling This

*waits for cackles of derision, random spitballs and utterances of "Who?"*
Hey Refd....
I love it when you post/reply anything Split Enz....it's good to know that someone else is out there that is still as much as a fan as I...
aye, likewise.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

zach
audio school

Post by zach » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:44 pm

first time posting...although i've been lurking for quite a while

i love the album "pretest" by the philly band dysrythmia on relapse records.
awesome math rock/noise with a huge, open sound. the whole album was performed live with a total of maybe 2 or 3 overdubs. whats great is when you see the band live, they sound EXACTLY like the album (although they've since put out a new album with a new bass player and don't play much off pretest anymore :(

of course the fact that steve albini produced has a lot to do with why i like it... :wink:

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:58 pm

roygbiv wrote:Apparently I'm feeling the need to comment some more.
ysyrtypy wrote:Trip Shakespeare,....Totally totally underrated unless you happened to go to high school in MN during the time they were active, in which case they are likely still your favorite band.
Those guys were good. Saw them in Lincoln Nebraska in the late 80's (either at the University, or at the Drumstick, can't remember which). Nutty band. Good lead singer. Toolmaster of Brainerd - catchy little number.
Trick Fall wrote:I'm willing to bet that there are not many, or any other people around here who would consider Grace Jones Warm Leatherette album a masterpiece, but it is one of my more favorite recordings.
Au contraire - that song rocked my world circa 1980.

For reasons unknown, one of my friends liked to blast that song on my Klipschorn speakers and sing along. Maybe it was the uplifting lyrics?

See the breaking glass
In the underpass
See the breaking glass
In the underpass

Warm leatherette

Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel
Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel

Warm leatherette

Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette
Melts on your burning flesh
You can see your reflection
In the luminescent dash...................
I stand corrected.....are you familiar with the original version of the song by the Normal?

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Marjorie Fair

Post by BenjaminWells » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:36 pm

I really like "Self Help Serenade" by Marjorie Fair... the whole album. I think it's beautiful. http://www.marjoriefair.com/

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Trick Fall wrote: I stand corrected.....are you familiar with the original version of the song by the Normal?
Actually, no - I only found out that it was not her original song when I was googling for the lyrics above :?

Is the "normal" version any good?

EDIT: forget the above, I DO remember the Normal version. Those are the same guys that do T.V.O.D., right? early new-wave Kraftwerk style, right?

Wow, hadn't fired those neurons for more than 25 years. Indeed.

In fact, I think it was the Normal version, NOT Grace Jones, that my buddy used to sing along to at 110 dB.

Man, the 80's were hard on me. I think, I don't remember.

PS - here's the Normal version in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWL4C7JbOw8

and for good measure - TVOD!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8thf7TpZYs
Last edited by roygbiv on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:46 pm

roygbiv wrote:
Trick Fall wrote: I stand corrected.....are you familiar with the original version of the song by the Normal?
Actually, no - I only found out that it was not her original song when I was googling for the lyrics above :?

Is the "normal" version any good?

EDIT: forget the above, I DO remember the Normal version. Those are the same guys that do T.V.O.D., right? early new-wave Kraftwerk style, right?

Wow, hadn't fired those neurons for 25 years. Indeed.

In fact, I think it was the Normal version, NOT Grace Jones, that my buddy used to sing along to at 110 dB.

Man, the 80's were hard on me.
it's the one i think of when someone mentions that song.

i think it's excellent.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:55 pm

I love the way the vocs are recorded on the regina spektor record begin to hope are recorded. A lot of the other production i think is kind of weak, but its hard to separate from the arrangements, but apart from the music (which i love) i think her vocs would be really hard to record: super dynamic, crazy extended techniques, massive tonal shifts inside of a line, really broad range, etc., but the vocs sound alternately thrlling, intimate, huge, choked. Not showy but for tapeoper you notice how crazily well handled it is. its the challenge i guess we all wish we had instead of like...making it sound like we didn't have to grid up the drum take or whatever.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 pm

idaho:
"hearts of palm"
"alas"
"3 sheets to the wind"
"levitate"
"the lone gunman"

the man is a genius of tone and texture.

both the neil finn solo albums are great - amazing mixes by tchad blake too.
the new rules : there are no rules

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 pm

joninc wrote:idaho:
"hearts of palm"
"alas"
"3 sheets to the wind"
"levitate"
"the lone gunman"

the man is a genius of tone and texture.

both the neil finn solo albums are great - amazing mixes by tchad blake too.
YES. Huge Idaho fan. This is one of the most criminally under-appreciated bands of the past 20 years, IMO. Had the pleasure of sharing a stage with Jeff twice...

a
"meow" - a cat

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:46 pm

joninc wrote:both the neil finn solo albums are great - amazing mixes by tchad blake too.
HELL yes.

the Bob Clearmountain mixes on the US version of the second album are also really goodo...tho i prefered the 2 songs that were removed from the international version to the ones that replaced them in the US release.

but the songwriting and performances and textures on both TWT and One Nil/All i find very engaging and inspiring.

at times i kinda wish he'd stayed solo and not resurrected CH. :wink:

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:59 pm

RefD wrote:
joninc wrote:both the neil finn solo albums are great - amazing mixes by tchad blake too.
HELL yes.

the Bob Clearmountain mixes on the US version of the second album are also really goodo...tho i prefered the 2 songs that were removed from the international version to the ones that replaced them in the US release.

but the songwriting and performances and textures on both TWT and One Nil/All i find very engaging and inspiring.

at times i kinda wish he'd stayed solo and not resurrected CH. :wink:
i totally agree. there is a new solo record in the works so hopefully he'll get back on track. i bought both versions of ONE NIL as well - weird how they did that. a few changes in the mixes here and there too. i like the UK one better overall.

another artist to throw in the pot here:

Gemma Hayes - her first full length (night on my side) is really really great and her newest one (the hollow of morning) is quite good too.

curiously - on NOMS there is also a UK version and a US version. a few song changes and what not. i prefer the UK one here as well.
the new rules : there are no rules

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:33 am

Leonard Cohen - Closing Time

Its a song