My morning jacket

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cooters
gettin' sounds

My morning jacket

Post by cooters » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:52 pm

Now i am an old school my mornig jacket fan but i was wondering if any body knew what the weird little instrument that jim james uses in touch me i'm going to scream. The little electronic board with the touch pad. I've also seen Grizzly bear use it and i think it would be fun to mess around with.
here is a link to a video with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKCraa-tdD4

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:21 pm

it's an omnichord. They are awesome. Buy one. They sound great and are fun and easy to play. I love putting mine through my memory man.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:24 pm

i was working in that studio when it was being done.

I was downstairs once while they were in the studio. there is a chamber in the basement. there are a lotta ghost stories about this place. after 7-8 hrs of inhaling solder fumes i liked to walk around to clear my head, it was late and i was tired from work before i got there.

i was close to falling asleep standing up until this ridiculously loud chord comes from the chamber and scares me until i almost piss myself.

it sounds exactly like the guitar that comes in around 4:53
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:02 am

Great band!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:31 am

with an excruciatingly awful band name.

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:48 am

I like the story of how they got the name. The were looking at a burnt down building or something like that and found a jacket that had mmj on it. or mm. But they just said my morning jacket. When i first heard of them i was like wow they probably suck. Then i say them on austin city limits playing songs off of z and the next day i went out and bought the album.
dondante was especially amazing.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:50 pm

cooters wrote: dondante was especially amazing.
That one gives me chills...
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:52 pm

cooters wrote:I like the story of how they got the name. The were looking at a burnt down building or something like that and found a jacket that had mmj on it. or mm. But they just said my morning jacket. When i first heard of them i was like wow they probably suck. Then i say them on austin city limits playing songs off of z and the next day i went out and bought the album.
dondante was especially amazing.
Hey, that's how I got into them too! (ACL) Before that I thought they were another teen angst thingie like Bright Eyes or Dashboard Confessional. Not so. (The name probably fooled me)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:27 pm

cgarges wrote:Great band!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
So true. Probably one of my favorite Austin City Limits episodes was with them on.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Bo Coster's brother lives in Charlotte and both he and his wife are easily the biggest supporters of original music in this town. Hell, not even original music, but any music. They are ALWAYS at shows and just about everyone who works at a club that has live music knows them by name. Aside from being rabid supporters and promoters of the scene here, they are also extremely nice people who go out of their way every day to help other people have fun and feel loved. Good folks, them two. Charlotte is definitely a better place because of them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC