Space Rock?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Space Rock?

Post by Woodeye » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:30 pm

I don't know, that's what someone called it, and I can't think of anything better. This represents the last eighteen months of my life, taken up in little three-hour-every-two-week chunks; I'm really curious to know what anyone thinks of it. I engineered and co-produced a total of five tracks, three of which (the 'new' ones) are represented here. It occurs to me that they might not have posted the complete songs out there, so don't be alarmed if the end somewhat abruptly...

(insert the standard apologies for the myspace player here)

Oh, and thanks for playing!
-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't --

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Sounds good. Not enough echo for it to be space rock though... needs a lot more echo. 8)
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am

Darn, and I thought that all the volume swells and little echo-y guitar lines would have been enough!

Seriously though, I'm open to any other genre suggestion - not that I necessarily want to pigeon-hole this by putting a label on it, but it's just nice to be able to start off the conversation with something.
-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't --

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am

Check out this ad from the local classifieds:

Space Rock?

Interstellar cruiser crash landed in Bloomington, seeking other aliens to forge Heavy Metal Rock Composites needed to repair ship.
Primitive Technology has infected the masses of Earth's People robbing them of individuality, causing dependence on cheaply manufactured, non-biodegradable instruments of communication. Cyborgs.
Needing non-assimilated, extra-terrestrial refugees such as myself to begin to create life outside this infinite void humans refer to as "cyberspace!" It is the only way to fix my ship!

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:09 am

Interesting indeed - if I were a younger man, and could lay my hands on some mind-altering fungii, I might apply, Heck, this guy could probably provide the latter!

Anyone else care to offer an opinion? I'd love to hear some objective views on mix, quality, tone, etc...

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 pm

I like the mix, particularly the guitar low end/bass area, they don't argue for room.

I think there is room to improve the vocal sound, give it more separation. I would recommend early Sianspheric for reference, they have a similar sound with a nice balance. If you want to sound space rock...

Anyhow, I really like the song writing, nice to hear upbeat drones, thanks for sharing.