My Tape Op friends! JUDGE ME! will ya!? (HEAVY STUFF)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Smiles
audio school

My Tape Op friends! JUDGE ME! will ya!? (HEAVY STUFF)

Post by Smiles » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Ok, I'm new here so there couldn't be a better way to get started.
- Below follows the link for my band's myspace profile, 6 songs I wrote, recorded, mixed and... mastered (or something like that).

...very, very, very low budget.

www.myspace.com/evilclass

Mainly heavystuff, but "RIP" has some acoustic shit, also there's and fx detail here and there...

so...who's gonna get me?

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Sounds pretty good, any details on the recording process?

jonasdixon
pluggin' in mics

Post by jonasdixon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:48 pm

judging only by my desktop speakers which aren't 20-20.

It sounds pretty darn good. I felt like the cymbals could be a little louder. But generally it seemed like a pretty balanced mix and worked for the style of music. All the performances sounded good. I would like to hear an MP3 though. Myspace messes with things.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:46 pm

good sound, guitars could be louder, but I am a guitar player, so I always think that. Like an earlyer post said, cymbals don't stand out at all.

I think you should compair what this sounds to what the band actually sounds like. I haven't seen you, but i would imagine more grinding guitars, more overall heat.

kudos on not compressing it too much.

and, I only listened to one song, but I wonder if the writing is a little formulaic. my favourite parts were the non riff-in-a-set-of-4 parts, just my 2 cents. I dig the metal, but if you are going to riff, make it interesting.

thanks for sharing.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:51 pm

try a room mic to go in next time. almost close enough to be a kick out mic, not 20 yards away. i think it could really complete the kick and snare.

sounds alright though.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York