A Christmas Drum Sound Mystery

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

benton netty
studio intern

A Christmas Drum Sound Mystery

Post by benton netty » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Hello and Happy Holidays, all.

I was in Pier One buying coffee mugs for my wife when I suddenly heard an AMAZING kick drum sound in one of the Christmas songs playing over the store stereo. It seriously stopped me dead in my tracks. I started making mental notes, trying to memorize a key lyric so I could go and look up the song later. And then my phone rang. I answered it, and by the time I was off the line, the song was gone, and, with it, whatever clues I had as to what it was. Except for this: it sounded 60's, and I wanted to say it involved James Brown or Tina Turner. And, I'm telling you, the drums sounded like John Bonham at his Bonhamiest, even though I know it wasn't him. But it was a totally choice, roomy sound.

Does this ring any sort of (Christmas) bells for anyone? I never heard that song before, and I'm afraid I never will, again. Oh, also: I don't think it was a well-known standard. It was a song I was unfamiliar with, I think. Also: it wasn't Phil Spector's Christmas album. I checked already. This recording was much less wall-of-sound, methinks.

I figured if anyone would be able to help me, I should try this place first.

Thanks!

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:35 pm

I bet Shazam, Midori or an audio recording app on your (i) phone would've come in handy. You don't know if it was a male or female singing? I'll guess - Eartha Kitt. RIP Catwoman.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:42 pm

CraigS63 wrote:Eartha Kitt. RIP Catwoman.
I heard. Man, that bummed me out. She was great.

So, it WAS a Christmas tune, right? James Brown recorded a bunch of Christmas tunes, but none of them sound very ambient or Bonham-esque to me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

benton netty
studio intern

Post by benton netty » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:03 am

Yep, definitely a Christmas tune. I hate to say James Brown and then plant that seed, but I felt like I was hearing him. But Tina Turner also came to mind. I almost thought it was some kind of duet with the two of them. This is while I'm having a phone conversation, so it may be totally off-base.

The kick drum just sounded so great on it right from the top -- a real room-sounding, heavy kick.

I know this is virtually nothing to go on, but I was hoping someone else had noticed the same thing about this particular song...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:57 am

Go back to Pier One and ask them what they were playing. Maybe it's some "Pier One Holiday disc" that you can buy in the store.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:42 am

Or find out if and then what radio station they had on.

Some ('XRT in Chicago, for instance) publish their daily play-list.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.