i think Bon Iver made me like autotune...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

i think Bon Iver made me like autotune...

Post by dave watkins » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:12 pm

...but i'm not quite sure. decide for your self:

http://www.myspace.com/boniver

the new EP "blood bank" is streaming on there for the time being and the track i'm refering to is "woods". it is such a ridiculous exploitation of auto tune that i think i like it. oh, AND it is only vocals, AND it is one line repeated over and over for about 5 minutes with various harmonies and such added as the song progresses.

John Cage once said: "If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."

this is kind of how i feel about this track. anyway discuss amongst yourselves...
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:24 pm

sounds like a vocorder to me, but I could be wrong...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Funny, I was actually thinking about posting a sorta similar thing. I just got an Ayria CD (bad dance-y industrial is my biggest guilty pleasure), and she uses autotune in really cool ways on some songs, just to make her voice sound more robotic in parts (at least, that's what my ears are telling me). She can definitely sing without it; she doesn't autotune the parts that are hard to sing, she just autotunes the beginning of some lines to make the vocals sound sorta different. And I found that I really dig it; it's using that "autotune sound" as a effect rather than using autotune as a pitch correction tool, and it works really well for what she does with it imo.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 am

DrummerMan wrote:sounds like a vocorder to me, but I could be wrong...
yeah i think some of the later parts definitely sound like some vocoder action going on now that you bring that up, i just went back to try and compare, but alas the song is gone, so now this thread is dead in the water until people get the record and start debating it again.

maybe, we'll just turn this into a good examples of mechanized vocals thread???
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 pm

I heard a profile on Bon Iver on NPR a while back. Hearing that song made me lose all interest.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 am

"I heard a profile on Bon Iver on NPR a while back. Hearing that song made me lose all interest."

That is an amazing quote.
I dont agree or disagree, but NPR definitely turned me on to Bon Iver about a year ago and im still on the fence!
[/quote]