Live from SugarHill Recording Studios

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Major
pluggin' in mics

Live from SugarHill Recording Studios

Post by Major » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 am

My lovely wife has begun producing a program entitled Live From SugarHill. Currently, it features in-studio performances and interviews of local artists but there are hopes of bringing in some "bigger" names later in the year. She/I would appreciate it you could take a moment to check out an episode or, even better, subscribe to the Podcast at iTunes. Any and all feedback is welcomed.

From the press release:

"SugarHill Recording Studios invites you into its legendary studios with its' newest venture, "Live from SugarHill". The partnership between Zenfilm, Xprescom and SugarHill Recording Studios launched Episode I featuring Houston artists Robert Ellis, Benjamin Wesley and Grandfather Child featuring Sad Gorilla on December 4 2008. The interactive show invited the audience to participate via text messages, phone and email communications straight to the artists in SugarHill's Studio A.

The second episode of "Live from SugarHill" aired on February 5 2009 and featured Austin's The Blue Hit and Houston's own Buxton.

Both episodes are available at the Live from SugarHill Vimeo channel at http://www.vimeo.com/livefromsugarhill You can also subscribe to the free video podcast on iTunes at http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =301652186 "

Danke.
Last edited by Major on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

re: Live From SugarHill Recording Studios

Post by nesta » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Wow.

Nice choice on using Vimeo. It looks and sounds amazing.

I have only made it through TheBlueHit segment, but I am thoroughly impressed with The Blue Hit, not to mention the potential that "Live From..." has to offer.

I have to admit that some of the camera work was a little distracting and I think that the production might benefit from a multi-camera approach, but I also understand that there were most likely financial/ artistic choices at play.

I'm sure that it would be way off-topic to discuss here, but I'd be interested to know what format the video was recorded on (DVCProHD, HDV, XDCam...VHS-C(?)) as well as the methodology used for video & audio sync. I mean, the video surely had to be slaved to something, right?

Either way, excellent job and good luck to you guys!

-nesta

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:23 am

Good Job! THe video looks great!

One thing... on your post, please remove the period from the vimeo link... it usually goes nowhere on their site.

Cheers,
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:02 am

Ver' cool!

One thing; I'd like some way of fast forwarding?

So if I wanna catch say Ellis (great performance) I can skip the inaugaral intro stuff, or go back to where I hadda leave ...

Oh wait; it's there, up on the picture a little!

:^:
Last edited by vvv on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Major
pluggin' in mics

Re: re: Live From SugarHill Recording Studios

Post by Major » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 am

nesta wrote:Wow.

Nice choice on using Vimeo. It looks and sounds amazing.

I have only made it through TheBlueHit segment, but I am thoroughly impressed with The Blue Hit, not to mention the potential that "Live From..." has to offer.

I have to admit that some of the camera work was a little distracting and I think that the production might benefit from a multi-camera approach, but I also understand that there were most likely financial/ artistic choices at play.

I'm sure that it would be way off-topic to discuss here, but I'd be interested to know what format the video was recorded on (DVCProHD, HDV, XDCam...VHS-C(?)) as well as the methodology used for video & audio sync. I mean, the video surely had to be slaved to something, right?

Either way, excellent job and good luck to you guys!

-nesta
According to Ross Wells, cameraman and co-owner of Zenfilm:

"The show was shot with a Sony EX-1. It has a really strong 1/2" imager and tremendous low light response, yet it is small and maneuverable. All these qualities are essential to capturing the experience. The EX-1 is set to capture in 1920 x 1080 at 23.98psf (Sony CineAlta) with the internal audio clock operating at 48khz.

The show is mixed live in Pro Tools HD and the final mix is bounced as a 48khz .aiff file. We ingest the XDCam HD file and the audio into Final Cut Pro. We slip the camera audio against the mixed track until and temporal artifacts are eliminated. The sync held throughout the show without drift. Then we delete the camera audio. From there we edit out a few pauses and add graphics. Editing took about 3 hours."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 am

This is so cool!

Check out Ben Wesley ; amazing one man band stuffs!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:30 am

Just gotta say, that first show is great! Ellis is a true talent, Wesley an unusual one, and Grandfather Child with Sad Gorilla rocks, (sometimes like Jon Spencer on speed.)

I happen too like the single camera, and the picture and sound quality is stellar.

Gonna watch the second show soon; site bookmarked.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

Re: re: Live From SugarHill Recording Studios

Post by nesta » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 pm

According to Ross Wells, cameraman and co-owner of Zenfilm:

"The show was shot with a Sony EX-1. It has a really strong 1/2" imager and tremendous low light response, yet it is small and maneuverable. All these qualities are essential to capturing the experience. The EX-1 is set to capture in 1920 x 1080 at 23.98psf (Sony CineAlta) with the internal audio clock operating at 48khz.

The show is mixed live in Pro Tools HD and the final mix is bounced as a 48khz .aiff file. We ingest the XDCam HD file and the audio into Final Cut Pro. We slip the camera audio against the mixed track until and temporal artifacts are eliminated. The sync held throughout the show without drift. Then we delete the camera audio. From there we edit out a few pauses and add graphics. Editing took about 3 hours."
Thanks for taking the time to investigate for me Major!! I work at a post house and I am prone to geek-out on video work-flows as much as audio work-flows.

Again, it looks and sounds amazing and I would recommend everyone take at least a few minutes to check it out...you won't be disappointed.

Best of luck to you guys!!

Major
pluggin' in mics

Post by Major » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 am

vvv wrote:Gonna watch the second show soon; site bookmarked.
Better than bookmarking, subscribe to the show on iTunes! And any comments you guys could leave there would be much appreciated!

I'll be sure to keep you posted as to what's coming up in the future.

producerboy
audio school

Post by producerboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks for posting about the show, Major. We are just getting our bearings on producing the show. We want it to 'read' as a real recording session at SugarHill. I think we're getting there.