New mix. Criticism needed.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Patrick McAnulty
gettin' sounds

New mix. Criticism needed.

Post by Patrick McAnulty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi guys, here's a mix that I'm working on right now. Take a listen if you'd like and post any input you have on the mix or even just talk about mixing techniques for me to try out. Thanks in advance. :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/202627908/T ... 1.mp3.html

EDIT: If the rapidshare link stops working you can hear the song at www.myspace.com/patagainstthemachine

The song is titled "11MinutesToCircle-TriggerMix1

P.S.

does anyone know of some good uploading sites? I'd use myspace, but I hate the sound of their music player so I'm using rapidshare this time.

er... just found out this can only be downloaded 10 times, so it looks like I'll be posting back here soon with a myspace link. :/
?_?

delo054
pluggin' in mics

Post by delo054 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:05 pm

i think something simple that would greatly improve things is some air in the vocal....maybe trying to get a little more crack out of the snare

Patrick McAnulty
gettin' sounds

Post by Patrick McAnulty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:37 pm

That snare has been giving me some trouble. It was played really inconsistently and when I try to take a stronger hit from the song and use SoundReplacer I can't get good results.
?_?

delo054
pluggin' in mics

Post by delo054 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 pm

if your going to use sound replacer i would just go with a better sounding snare from outside of the song...it just sounds a little thin and undefined....but you could do much worse....its not aweful

Patrick McAnulty
gettin' sounds

Post by Patrick McAnulty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 am

Yeah, the snare sounded terrible IMO. It was our school's snare. Some metal Tama snare tuned up about as high as it could go and the drummer was barely tapping it. The rack tom mic was literally getting as much snare as the snare mic when those two faders were at unity. I don't know why whoever was running the pres didn't adjust that at all, but you can only mention to someone that the snare mic needed to go up so many times....

As far as using another sample, I tried that briefly but once again, didn't have much luck. Are there any tips you would have with SoundReplacer? I was having problems getting the sample to blend well with the original.
?_?