just out of curiosity...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cozy
gettin' sounds

just out of curiosity...

Post by cozy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 am

does anyone know how the drums were recorded for "Nights in White Satin" by The Moody Blues? they are so lo fi compared to the rest of the track. i really love the sound of them. i just can't figure out what they did, not that i want to duplicate it or anything, i just like to dissect my favorite songs. thanks

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 am

The whole song kind of sounds like it was recorded in a parking garage...but in a good way. I wonder if they used an actual reverb chamber instead of some electronic version?

dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:50 am

All I know for sure is that the Days Of Future Passed album was recorded at Decca Studios in West Hampstead, London, with the London Festival Orchestra - as a showcase for 'Deramic' (or whatever the super hi-fi Decca process was called) Recorded in just 5 days too.

Decca probably had a proper reverb / echo chamber - the English National Opera apparently use the old studios as a rehearsal space these days. If I'm up that side of town in the near future I might try and call in and see if I can get a tour :)