Cheap mics/Great pres ( Sage SE-1 + Kel HM-1)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

burn
pushin' record

Cheap mics/Great pres ( Sage SE-1 + Kel HM-1)

Post by burn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey everybody,

I just finished the mixing/recording of by band. It's female fronted alt-pop-rock-punk. Some of the influences are PJ Harvey, Fugazi, YYY, Metric, Hot Snakes to name a few.

For the geek stuff: the vocal is essentially a Kel hm-1 into a Sage se-1 pre (everything went through the Sages). All the microphones are cheap: Kel HM1, Oktava MK012, SP B3, eggstatic, beta 52, sm57 and 58, AT3035, that's it. Digi002. The room was our rehearsal space, a basement in an industrial building.

Everything was mixed ITB with plugins (except for a bit of spring reverb on the main vocal).

I hope you'll like it, and I would love to have some comments/advices on the recording.

thanks

Rome Romeo
http://www.myspace.com/romeromeomtl

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Sounds really cool. There's a cohesive sound but every instrument sounds like it's occupying its own space. Lots of different tones and textures, vocals really pop. I especially love that mean bass tone on "B". I probably would haven't gone in a different direction with mixing/tones on the drums, but sounds like you did a damned good job.