My band is not dead!!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jonkan
ass engineer

My band is not dead!!

Post by Jonkan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:59 am

My band, even though the name of the band is "If they ask, tell them were dead", has suprisingly enough managed to record and make a roughmix of a song. Which must mean that were very much alive. This is a big deal for me, as I generally dont get anything done at all concerning my own music. I just work for everybody else all the time doing FOH sound.

This is the very first mix of it, and im aware of some problems which i will fix, but probably not others. Had to mix it on headphones this time, which was a bit wierd for me, but also a learning experience.

Since im the drummer in the band, i didnt really also want to be the engineer, but i kinda had to since nobody else in the band has the technical knowhow for it. Might be that the mix and sonics are a bit sloppy because of it, since I wanted to focus on playing, and not so much on recording and mixing. Tried to keep my drummerhat on most of the session, and not my recording hat, if you know what i mean.

Its called "broken train", and is a lofi adventure recorded in our small rehersalspace.

So please take a listen and tell me what you like, or dont like.

Now im off to mixing the other two songs we recorded at the same session. Will post them aswell as soon as theyre halfway listenable.

Thanks for listening!

Oh, heres the link:

www.myspace.com/tellthemweredead

(If anyone want bettter quality mp3s, let me know. Im not sure were to host them though.)

/Jonas

wigwam
audio school

Post by wigwam » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:46 am

really like it - very listenable.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Sounds good, though arrangement wise I think the vocals take too long to come in.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:00 pm

sounds pretty good here. I like the vocal sound, fits the song nicely.

Jonkan
ass engineer

Post by Jonkan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks for the criticism!

JWL, youre not the first to think that about the arrangement. We kinda wanted to make it a bit harder for the listener on purpose. I still havent decided myself if thats a good thing or not.

Atleast we are aware of it.

Keep it coming!
/J