"Breakfast With You," another case for the deadlin

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

"Breakfast With You," another case for the deadlin

Post by BenjaminWells » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 am

"Breakfast With You" is a song I wrote the lyrics to in 2004.

It's here:
http://www.BenjaminWells.net

Four years later I wrote the music and started playing it out. Two weeks ago I received a call from another local musician who wants to put together a compilation CD. She was asking for a recording in a little over one week. So, I set up my gear in my unfinished studio space, with bare sub floor and framing, saw dust and piles of construction materials, and begged my friends to lay down tracks for me. I received the call two weeks ago today on Monday, recorded myself (sans click track) on Tuesday, recorded the fiddle Wednesday, banjo Thursday, bass Friday, comped and mixed Saturday, resonator Sunday, Vocals Monday, comped and mixed Tuesday... sent the Logic project file to Ed Billeaud (a local sound pro) for mastering and inclusion on the CD. He put nicer reverb on it, evened out the levels, etc.

So, I've always read on this board how deadlines really help the general cause of finishing projects... now I'm a believer. Certainly, it would be better if I had had time to sing more phrases in tune, even out the tempo, finish my studio space, use better gear etc, etc, but not having the option to do anything but produce a finished song resulted in just that. Cheers!