Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:14 am

this shit is hi-f'ing-larious. seriously funny. about two minutes in i just about shot coffee outta my nose.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/04/a-s ... ic-at.html

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:52 am

Not bad, but like many of the comments.... I have heard worse! :lol:
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:57 am

Dang. I love a lot of that stuff. Oomp-ahhing tubas and accordians. WTF? Awesome song.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 am

I think they should have included that falsetto "oh, yeah!" stuff from every Bob Wills/Texas Playboys recording.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:19 am

The opera rapping reminds me of that Zappa thing with Ron Popeil's daughter performing with his band.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:22 am

;ivlunsdystf wrote:The opera rapping reminds me of that Zappa thing with Ron Popeil's daughter performing with his band.
LOL Yep, I knew I heard that somewhere before!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 am

I have heard this before! I thought the song was actually really cool. The rapping opera singer made me cringe but still it was kinda funny. You should find their other experiment of the most liked song. That is really really funny too.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:54 am

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:20 am

Who's seen The Village? I think we should try raise a community of people isolated from society and only let them listen to music like this and see what happens.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:39 am

I love this song!! :lol:

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:49 am

suppositron wrote:Who's seen The Village? I think we should try raise a community of people isolated from society and only let them listen to music like this and see what happens.
The only thing more cruel would be to start an isolated community and only let them watch The Village.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:02 pm

This just goes to show me how out of step I am with what the majority of people want to hear, well... at least whenever in the 90's they took the online survey that determined the criteria for these. Though I wonder how many of those people would, 10 years later or so, have done anything to see Gogol Bordello with a Cowboy-singin' front man. You know they would :) ...

I hate the most wanted song. I understand why people like that kind of stuff, I just don't.

There are definitely parts of the least wanted song that I'm really enjoying, though I don't know if I'm going to listen to all 25 minutes of it.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:02 pm

The 'most wanted' song is a bit disingenuous because they took all those supposedly popular elements and played/sang them all tongue in cheeky. So of course it's going to sound crummy. if you had really good emotion-laden performances instead of their hokey cheap performances, that music would be somewhat moving (although still probably offensive on grounds of esthetics/genre/smooth r+b ness)

The 'least wanted' stuff is, because of how it was made, eclectic enough to be quite interesting. How is it really any different from listening to one of the early Mothers of Invention albums with all the sound collage and so forth?

Interesting stuff nonetheless. If i were a music professor I could fill up a whole 1-hour lecture/discussion with these two items.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:06 pm

lyman wrote:
suppositron wrote:Who's seen The Village? I think we should try raise a community of people isolated from society and only let them listen to music like this and see what happens.
The only thing more cruel would be to start an isolated community and only let them watch The Village.
Aww no he dittnt!

(I really liked that movie)

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:29 pm

The most wanted song sounds a hell of a lot like Anita Baker's "Rapture" in parts. Classic dentist's office jam.

The least wanted song is amazing. This might have to be my new "clear the bar out at the end of the night" song.