Mixing Our Album - Clashing On Sounds

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Mixing Our Album - Clashing On Sounds

Post by akg414 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:47 am

We're mixing our album. Due to time constraints, there are 2 of us (in the band) each mixing 1/2 the songs.

As would be expected, there is a lot of disagreements on level-balance, instrument tones, etc.

Looking for some outside opinions on what you guys (the audio-skilled) think.

Give it to me straight - the good, the bad, the first impressions...

http://www.thesecretsystemband.com/musi ... morrow.mp3

http://www.thesecretsystemband.com/musi ... NPaint.mp3

http://www.thesecretsystemband.com/musi ... araway.mp3

http://www.thesecretsystemband.com/musi ... /PuzPc.mp3

Thanks!
- Brad

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:46 pm

FWIW: With the understanding that *.mp3 is not the best way to check mixes, and I listened to 3/4 of each song ...

"maybetomorrow": bass is quite thick, very much a Pink Floyd sounding mix and sound. Guitars is a little mono for me, as are keys, butt those are aesthetic things. Mix is nicely balanced and clear, a little bass-heavy and not much ambience; the snare, for example sounds a bit dead. Which is not to say I don't like it, and I love the tom panning.

"CanvasNPaint": So I'm thinkin' Gilmour, immediately; very cool delays on the guitar. Thick bass but cuts better, quite dry mix again. Nice job on the lead vocal, but a few artifacts ("slot", the "g" sounds). I like the stacked guitars post-chorus, kinda Tool-ish, especially with the radio voice.

"runningfaraway": this is mebbe more commercially EQ'd, sounds more produced, especially the bass and vox. (Note the artifacts on the "g" in the chorus on "given", etc.). I like the stereo picture better, altho' it's still a bit dry, especially the drums. The lead is sweet. And I'm thinkin' Floyd and Tool again: :D

"PuzPc": again with the clicky "g sounds ... I reckon I'm anal about that :( . I think this sounds pretty good, altho', again, mix is a little dry for me, especially drums.

Nice stuff! Was I producing, I would want the bass to be high-passed, the snare to get some plate, the vox some more processing (slap or delays, verb), the snare to get a plate, the whole mix to get some ambience, but that's aesthetic. The only technical glitch is mebbe the vox need to be cleaned up a bit.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:21 pm

the snare on all of them sounds like it's suffocating.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Nicely balanced mixes overall. Sounds to me like one guy did the 1st and 3rd songs, the other did the 2nd and 4th. Both sound a bit too dry (I agree with above).

I think they also need a bit more excitement, ie, with automation (and maybe compression). The mixes sound a bit static overall in terms of balance. Make things bigger or smaller at different parts of the song to build dynamic tension, etc.

Just a few ideas, nice job overall. Certainly a good mastering engineer could work with these....

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 pm

I like the way the bass sits in the mix a lot better on the first and third songs. The bass is ok in the mix when everything is going, but when the arrangement thins out and the bass is carrying the lead it sounds very thin and clanky. However the snare sounds better on the second and fourth tracks to my ear. The snare is very dry and dead sounding on the first and third tracks.

Overall good mix on all of them though, I think. Just some fine tuning here and there. I really like the Pink Floyd vibe.