Can anyone recommend some "reference" mixes?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

5thString
studio intern

Can anyone recommend some "reference" mixes?

Post by 5thString » Wed May 06, 2009 4:42 am

Hi everybody.

This thread is a clone of ons I started on GS.com. In more than a week I only had one answer, so I am trying my luck here...

I am discovering the joys of mixing right now and I need to have my ears trained a bit. My problem is that when I listen to a given song I can't isolate each single color in the whole painting. There's too much to listen to at once.

Could you please list a few songs you find interesting or you consider as a reference and tell me how it illustrates a specific mixing trick or technique? (Like, well, "Listen to that delay on the voice", or "The compression on the bass makes it stand out against the kick drum", or anything that can help isolate things I should listen to.)

As much as possible I'd like mostly "top" hits, by which I mean songs I won't have too much of a hard time finding on CDs or LP... Unfortunately I know there are awesome mixes out there I will never be able to buy in France.

Thanks!

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 am

Well-reference mixes are actually your choice. It depends on what you personally like the sound of....For every one great sound that one person loves another hates.....especially when dealing with POP HITS. But when you find the mixes that you think sound awesome....then use those as references against mixes that you are making. There are far too many great mixes out there.

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 am

Thanks for your answer. But I am more looking for "illustrative" mixes (assuming this word exists :) ), that is, mixes in which one can point things for me to specifically listen to. In a sense I don't mind if they sound good or bad - all that counts is that I can pinpoint what makes the sound I am hearing. i can't do that now because as I said, there's too much sound to sort out specific mixing details since my ear doesn't know what and where to find things. Do you see what I mean? It has to be a guided tour of some sort within the picture...

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 am

Obviously depends on genre but two of my favorite reference mixes as of late are TV on the Radio's "Province" and the Dirty Projectors and David Byrne's "Knotty Pine". I think the low-end on Knotty Pine sits perfectly in the mix and Province is just amazing all-around. If I had to reference an album as a whole I'd probably choose TV on the Radio's Return to Cookie Montain.

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 am

The Beatles / Lady Madonna - mega-compression on the piano.

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Wed May 06, 2009 7:19 am

mjau wrote:The Beatles / Lady Madonna - mega-compression on the piano.
Ha! One song I've heard of... :mrgreen:
Thanks!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 am

Yeah, reference mixes all come down to personal taste for sure. That's the whole point.

I usually bring mixes that will help me tune my own ears to the room I'm working in.

Two of my perennial favorites are "Le Femme De Argent" by Air, for understanding how the bass feels in the room in the 60-90hz range, and "Elephant Woman" by Blonde Redhead for under standing the low end in the 40-60hz range, and listening for how the crossover is effecting the super-midrangey vocal.

Aside from those two standards, that I've heard a million times in a million rooms, I'll usually bring along some tunes that are related to the mix aesthetic we're going for. It could be anything from Slayer to Stereolab, depending on the artist.

Reference mixes are one of those things that are 100% personal. Now, join the fight against human sheep-itude and figure out your own damn favorites!
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed May 06, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 am

I agree 100% and more (izzat possible?) with everything said above.

After that, there are some standards that people often name, like Annie Lennox' Diva, Roger Nichol's Steely Dan stuff, Thriller, Bottrill's Tool stuff, etc. as perhaps showing great frequency range, separation, clarity - you find what you like in them.

"When the Levee Breaks" and "Running with the Devil" and "Ring of Fire" and "Blue in Green" certainly exemplify, eh, well, you know ...

But if you wanna know "industrial", you might wanna listen to Trent Reznor's NIN, or for huge commercial hard rock you could look to Bob Rock, etc.; it's all contextual, at least in large part, and certainly somewhat subjective.

Me, I love the sound of Exile on Main Street, all the various versions, so you mebbe ain't wanna know my preferences.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

bcgood
audio school graduate

Post by bcgood » Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 am

My personal favorite reference mixes are Aja by Steely Dan and for modern alternative believe it or not, (No I'm not walking on air) is Third Eye Blind's first self titled album. Especially some of the songs that are less well known towards the end of that album.
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Thu May 07, 2009 8:59 am

Rudy Van Gelder. Listen to his Blue Note recordings and his Prestige recordings, both done at the same time at the same studio and notice how he was able to create two distinct sounds for each record label. He also did a lot of the Impulse records too, and they have their own sound as well.

And, Shellac's "At Action Park". This is how very well recorded instruments sound. For the love of god, the drum sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu May 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Sparklehorse's It's A Wonderful Life, Flaming Lips The Soft Bulletin, Eric Matthew's two 1990s Subpop records, The Royal Scam by Steely Dan, The White Album... I've definitely used more than these, but they immediately come to mind.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 am

Viva Last Blues by Palace Music...I love each and every sound on this record.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 am

Hunky Dory

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Fri May 08, 2009 9:12 am

"Karma Police" by Radiohead. Standard rock n' roll band instrumentation with big bottomy bass anchoring the mix. Awesome arrangement. Very balanced and interesting to listen to. Good to check low end of monitors.
-Chris D.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am

Anything off Loveless by My Bloody Valentine when I need to be reminded that sometimes a well chosen glorious mess is what's best.