New Wilco album streaming

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ndstgmoe
alignin' 24-trk

New Wilco album streaming

Post by ndstgmoe » Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

http://beta.wilcoworld.net/records/thealbum/index.php

Apologies if this has been posted. Couldn't find it in the search.

I'm liking very much so far.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 pm

I like it. The last one seemed a little too middle-of-the-road to me, but maybe that's just the Volkswagen commercials talking.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed May 13, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm diggin this. It's a more understated Nils this time around. This is a pretty big departure I think from the last one. It's calculated and overdubbed instead of super raw. Good songs that I'm sure will sound great to me after a few listens.

It's pretty experimental too. Not to bash O'Rourke and minimalism bc I love that shit, but it's like Ghost Is Born but without all that minimalism and Jim O'Rourke-ness.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu May 14, 2009 5:59 am

I was liking what I heard, although I was kind of blown away by 'The Loft' section of their website with the picture of their recording/practice space. It uses what they refer to as Gigapan technology and you can zoom in to within just about inches of anything in the space and it reframes and focuses in as you zoom. Hard to explain...you've just gotta see it. You can get right up on the console and read the tape strip and see Tweedy's fingerprint smudges on the EQ knob...or get right in on the bookshelf and read the freakin' price tag on the side of the plastic bins if you want to. It really is pretty amazing. Check it out!

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

mrclean
pushin' record

"The Loft"

Post by mrclean » Thu May 14, 2009 7:06 am

I checked the loft and got to see the gigapan view - amazing!

But after sending the link to some friends - it seems they just now commented out the link. You can't view it anymore. Weird.
-- mrclean

sad iron
tinnitus

Re: "The Loft"

Post by sad iron » Thu May 14, 2009 8:41 am

mrclean wrote:I checked the loft and got to see the gigapan view - amazing!

But after sending the link to some friends - it seems they just now commented out the link. You can't view it anymore. Weird.
Now the image is of the live room. Pretty cool. I'm just checking out out and I'm intrigued by the fact the the drums are in an iso room. Very interesting. Anyone else work this way. Seems reversed to my experience.

I'm liking the record so far too.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

cellphone interference

Post by ideaofnorth » Thu May 14, 2009 11:41 am

i'm loving the new album too. similar feel to sky blue sky, but the songs seem tighter to me somehow. classic soft rock feel.

anyone else notice what sounds like cellphone interference during some of the breaks in Bull Black Nova? Kind of chattering sound. Must be intentional, but I had to make sure it was on the recording and not something my phone was doing.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Fri May 15, 2009 9:13 am

This link asks for a password now - anybody know what's up?

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Mon May 18, 2009 1:38 pm

ehhh...

as a dedicated long-time wilco fan... there are some good songs on here, but this is their weakest album in a long time. there are at least 3 or so real throw-aways on there, something quite rare for a wilco record. its a shame, because i like the sound of it better than sky blue sky - it's more claustrophobic, in a good way - like ghost is born. my prescription for wilco is this: get rid of nels cline (as great as he is, he has too much of a signature) and one of the multi-instrumentalists, and Tweedy needs to stop wasting all his weirder/experimental juices on Loose Fur (also great in my book) and pipe them back into Wilco.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:18 am

I am also a Wilco freak. I admit that I didn't like the LP much the first few listens (also true of YHF for me). But now its my one of 2009's best releases so far (well its not officially released yet). One Wing is above-and-beyond my favourite track on the record. I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff do a one-off solo LP with some more experimental flavour. Maybe have Glenn joining in for some rhythm tracks...

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Just listened to Wilco (the album) for the first time today. I'm not a Wilco freak, but one of those people who fell in love with YHF and can still pretty much listen to it over and over again many years later.

I'll give it more chances but was generally unimpressed. The mix felt, to me, really unbalanced, like there were two really good mixes. The first was the drums, bass, keyboards and general rhythm section instruments that sounded really good together like a classic rock kind of album. The second was the vocals, and the lead and main rhythm/textural guitars, which were mixed (to my ears) really big as if it was a rhythm section-less small group. Then those two mixes were thrown together, with the vocals mix just too big and loud compared to the rest. I'm all for lead things being in the front, but this kind of felt like the "band" part of the equation was weak, and I don't think it's because of the performances. The only song that really stood out for me was Deeper Down. Not surprising that it's more of a chamber piece than a song with a valuable rhythm section role that I'd want to feel more.

I DID enjoy that Nils' sound was softened/toned down a bit, though.

I wasn't crazy about Sky Blue Sky originally either, but I've grown to enjoy at least a good portion of it, so maybe my feelings about (the album) will change.