Dirty Projectors, "Bitte Orca"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Dirty Projectors, "Bitte Orca"

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:02 pm

This band is like a music snob's wet dream fantasy band. "Let's see, first it would have to have a couple of hot chicks. And one of them would have to kill on bass. John Bonham on drums, of course. Then grab that Swedish songwriting team who wrote "Umbrella" and force them to listen to only serial music for a year. And Ali Farka Toure on guitar!"

Hopefully I will have a more substantial listening experience eventually, but right now I am just having a blast with how AWESOME this album is. Is is an incredibly FUN album, and that's saying something, right?

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 pm

i'd say it is. i've only had a chance to listen to the record once, and unfortunately not really listen to the record. but the bits i have heard are fantastic, it's a lot more listenable than some of their earlier stuff but still sounds like nothing else out there, especially as far as the compositions are concerned....

but more importantly, i saw them live last night, and i was goddamn blown away. i was skeptical to see how well all the vocal harmonies and intricate guitar parts and rhythms would play out, and it was truly just a beautiful performance, i highly recommend catching them live.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am

anybody got any specifics on the recording process of this record? it sounds really good. I was told it was produced by the guy in grizzly bear who also records their stuff.

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:42 pm

it looks from the album sleeve as though this one was recorded in some more-or-less "real" studios. I do not believe Chris Taylor from Grizzly Bear produced this one, however. Production is credited to Longstreth.