Spanish Language music

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Spanish Language music

Post by SaneMan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:30 am

Anyone know any good music sung in Spanish? Preferably simple singer/songwriter stuff that I could learn on acoustic and sing. I'm learning Spanish and thought this would be fun/helpful.

I liked that song at the end of Amores Perros (Lucha de Gigantes), but recently bought it only to realize it doesn't have the same impact without the movie.
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:57 pm

http://setlist.com/LosLobos/discography ... razon.html

I want to recall that the vinyl had a lyric sheet too. I never had a CD copy...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

pablotf
ass engineer

Post by pablotf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:31 pm

They're not all necessarily "simple singer/songwriter stuff" but these are some I like:

Aterciopelados
Caf? Tacuba
Julieta Venegas
Natalia Lafourcade
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
Soda Stereo
Manu Chao (he also sings in French, Portuguese, and English, often in the same song)

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:34 am

Yeah, La Pistola Y El Corazon (where's my accent key?) is rediculously awesome, not just because it's Los Lobos and they're bad-asses. But those songs are spanish language classics.

I remember hearing a lot of oldies radio is Costa Rica which played stuff from all over the place and those songs would pop up all the time sung by everybody. I'm sure there are some simple chord and lyric versions. It's the timing that mr. 4/4 white boy has trouble with. (I'm speaking of myself)
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

re: Spanish language music

Post by nesta » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:00 pm

gotta 2nd Manu Chao.

check out Clandestino. great songs. not to difficult to play.

also, check out Pepe Habichuela. not necessarily for trying to play, but its amazing musica...

enjoy.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nesta » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:42 pm

actually, dont know how I missed it, but check out Caf? Tacuba as well...particularly the one Dave Fridmann (sp?) produced/recorded...

Julieta Venegas was cool as well...a little more poppy not necessarily something to play along with...if I remember correctly the CD I have is Si (don't have the accent mark on the 'i')...

enjoy.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nesta » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:45 pm

sorry flakin' out...

check out Juana Molina as well. Good stuff.

enjoy.

jashwa
audio school

Post by jashwa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 pm

these songs are classics:

Silvio Rodriguez- "ojala"

mercedes sosa- "gracias a la vida"

compay segundo- "chan chan"

piero- "como somos," "mi viejo"

camaron de la isla- "volando voy"

fania- "el cantante"

chavela vargas- "la llorona"

alberto cortez y facundo cabral- "no soy de aqui, ni soy de alla"

good modern stuff:

lhasa de sela- "el desierto"

carlos vives- "pa' mayte"

andres calamaro- "flaca"

los autenticos decadentes- "la guitarra"

all those are great fun songs for learning spanish (or for any purpose). buena suerte con eso. que te vaya bien.

*cisko*
studio intern

Post by *cisko* » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:15 pm

for pop rock stuff definately Soda Stereo,
for more vallenato typical colombian music fused with pop, any Carlos Vives song, or "quiero que te quedes" by Adriana Lucia, I worked on that record and love that song.
Singer Songwriter Silvio Rodriguez "Ojala"
enjoy
what ever you do stay clear of MANA or you will feel the brutal assault of Bland Latino pop rock
hehe

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

Growing up, my parents listened to a lot of latin music mostly from the 60s. I personally don't like anything new (things from about the 80s to present) that's labeled "Rock en Espa?ol" because a lot of it sounds like bad INXS covers or the singers try to flail their voices to sound more like they're singing in English.

Check out:

Los Angeles Negros (Chilean group, kind of a blend of boleros and psych rock from the late 60s).

Los Iracundos (from Paraguay, check out a song called "Puerto Montt" for something to learn on the guitar and sing). Another one that blows a lot of this newer stuff is one called "Te Lo Pido De Rodillas".

Raphael (Spanish "Pop" singer, great arrangements and the guy's vocal range is pretty amazing).

Roberto Carlos (Brasilian, yet somehow, even after I've collected a lot of his original stuff in Portugese, the Spanish stuff sounds better).