Please give a listen to my new, 424MKIII, recorded album.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

MattWhip
audio school

Please give a listen to my new, 424MKIII, recorded album.

Post by MattWhip » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 pm

It is nice to be in a place with fellow lovers of all things analog. I am releasing my new solo album, Matt Whipkey : Instant Heart, on a small label here in Omaha, NE , Slo-Fi records. The album was recorded entirely analog on a 424 MkIII. I was fortunate to have two blackface UA 1176's lent to me for some of the tracking and mixdown. All effects come from a Fulltone Tupe Tape Echo and a Fender spring reverb tank. Mics: various Sm57's , White Seinheiser 421, AT4040, Studio Projects C1. The finished product turned out pretty fantastic for what originally started as an experiment.

Please give a listen if you have the time, I love any and all feedback.

All the tracks are currently streaming at www.myspace.com/mattwhipkeymusic or on www.mattwhipkey.com hit the listen link at the bottom for a higher quality track.

Thanks guys!

Matt Whipkey

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Matt,

Nice work. Projects like yours really capture the spirit of Tape Op. I like your use of the spring reverb. How were you able to deal with the impedance issue? I've tried to use my Fender reverb on projects before but it didn't work out too well. I now have an AKG BX 15 and a MasterRoom spring so my little Fender fantasy is long forgotten. At any rate, I'd like to hear you tackle drums on your next go round.

Good work man.

Tony

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 am

Cool Matt, I did the same kind of thing at one time when all I had was a Marantz 4 track cassette recorder, four SM-57s, and an Audio Technica (which was a Pro 40 tom mic I think) for kick. I also used a MXR guitar compressor on the bass. THAT'S IT. I actually have notes on the session if you can believe that... I will have to dig them out.

The story of the recording/band, and what happend to the vocals is mostly on the site too... Enjoy:

http://www.myspace.com/thefilthandthefurydc
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.