On the road!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

On the road!

Post by thunderboy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 am

I think Shudder to Think's Pony Express Record is the finest road trip record ever. I'm always hearing something new, and it's seriously fun to sing along to. It has gotten me across the country a few times with nary a moment of boredom.

Yours?

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 pm

I guess no one listens to music while driving anymore. Huh.

Carry on.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 pm

To me, Swervedriver's Mezcal Head sounds like speeding the stretch from California to Nevada in the summer.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:23 am

On a recent road trip from Phoenix to LA my wife and I were really enjoying Devendra Banharts "Rejoicing in the Hands." We played it like 3 times on that trip.

Also a favorite of mine is Unwound's final album, "Leaves Turn Inside You." Something about it just feels like it's meant to be listened to in a car on a long drive, while feeling slightly apprehensive about leaving where you are or about where you're going to end up.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:34 am

I haven't taken a road trip in a while so I'd have to think about what music I would bring. For some reason though this reminds me that What Goes On by the Velvets has saved my life a few times driving at five in the morning.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 am

Fatboy Slim. I don't expect he'll get much love here but he certainly helps dispense with the miles.

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Trick Fall wrote:For some reason though this reminds me that What Goes On by the Velvets has saved my life a few times driving at five in the morning.
I do always imagine that as a driving song.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:50 pm

rushofblood wrote:
Trick Fall wrote:For some reason though this reminds me that What Goes On by the Velvets has saved my life a few times driving at five in the morning.
I do always imagine that as a driving song.
It really is, something about Sterling's guitar. In the early nineties I was still living on Long Island and would hang out every Wednesday at Disco 2000 at limelight in Manhattan. There was this guy named Dan the naked man who was always there and he would wear boots, a shear shawl and a hip bag filled with the most potent weed you have ever smoked. After smoking with Dan a few times and having to drive back to LI I decided I better move into the city quick. Anyway that Velvet album was definitely the soundtrack for the ride back to LI.